The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Popper help

Well the popper ride has been a roller coaster. I am not happy with how these turned out, but at least I learned what to do for next time. I painted over the sharpie, then coated with one coast of delta ceramacoat.

The things I know I need to improve are:
1) Apply several coats of paint, instead of one.
2) I need to find a way to improve the eyes. I tried to apply them with a brush and it wasn't happening.
3) I have no idea how to tie the legs in where they look more like they should
4) Also improve the blotting for the dots on the back, I used the brush again and it was tough.
5) Finally I will probably do at least 2 coats of varnish next time.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
The things I know I need to improve are:
1) Apply several coats of paint, instead of one.
2) I need to find a way to improve the eyes. I tried to apply them with a brush and it wasn't happening.
3) I have no idea how to tie the legs in where they look more like they should
4) Also improve the blotting for the dots on the back, I used the brush again and it was tough.
5) Finally I will probably do at least 2 coats of varnish next time.
1) I do one coat of paint over a coat of epoxy
2) Use something solid to make the eyes. The heads of different size nails works great
3) personally I think that legs "sewn" right through the body is best, but a figure-8 wrap right behind the head works well
4) use a finishing nail head just touched to the paint
5) no need for varnish if you use epoxy then acrylic
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Very good tips. Thanks!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

See page 2 for the "spot making kit" Fishing Lure Paint, Lure Making Supplies The vinyl acrylic paints they sell work wonders and they have more popper bodies and hooks than you can shake a stick at!! Rubber bug bodies, foam popper bodies, popper corks
Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

If you would go to youtube and do a search for kirkdiet you'll find great info from Kirk.

The one that I think will help you from him is here.

Rick
Old 07-12-2012, 11:24 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

Sharpie markers and Sally's don't work together. Two different chemicals, just like lacquer and polyurethane don't play well together.

Epoxy will work just fine as its a different chemical than sharpie. Acrylic will work find with Sally's too. My preference when I do work with poppers is to color however you want, then epoxy, 5-minute works fine, and then a coat of Sally's.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I got them painted tonight, hoping to coat them tomorrow before work and finish them off after work tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I get them done.
Hope that everything works out for you. I've been making poppers for nearly 40 years (Jamison Lure & Fly Co.) and made every mistake possible in my testing of paints and processes. If you have figured it out, feel free to ignore my post.

For hard foam bodies.

1. Set your hook with a small drop of super glue. Too much will not cure and melt the foam.
2. Flip your poppers upside down and fill the slot with epoxy and let it sit overnight. You can use a clothespin or something similar to hold them in place.
3. Only paint with waterbased acryllics and let it dry completely. You can speed the process with a hair dryer at a distance greater than 2'
4. To paint eyes I use three successively smaller nail heads dipped in paint. I typically use black-white-black pattern. Be sure to let each step dry. (See results below.)
5. For the final step I use slow cure (1 hr) aerospace epoxy, because it is strong and I do around 50 at a time. If you are doing one or two you could use the 5 or 10 min. cure epoxy. When I am testing new poppers I sometimes just use a gloss coat, clear nail polish or something similar.

Hope this helps,

Click the image to open in full size.