The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

View Poll Results: C-Clamp or Pedestal
C-Clamp 7 14.58%
Pedestal 41 85.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: C-Clamp or Pedestal

I don't see how it would be too hard to make your own base. Get a piece of iron about 3x5" or maybe a bit larger, nice and heavy, drill a hole in it that will accomodate your vise shank, weld a short collar slightly wider than the shank to the top of the piece of metal, then thread a eyed screw or something similar through the collar for holding the vise shank in place. Then coat it on the underside with rubber et voila. I like my pedestral, even though the XRay machine at the airport usually does not. Solid chunks of metal tend to draw questions. Pull it out of the bag and put it in one of the bins if you carry it on.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I've had both. I like the pedestal much more.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 AM

otfan is on a distinguished road

To me this is a no brainer. I have both types and find the c clamp a lot less restrictive for one important reason. You cannot alter the height of the vice with the pedestal unlike with the c clamp. Not all tables are the same height. its a lot easier to alter the height of the vice than the length of the table legs. Think on!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

If you are not sure which one you prefer tying on I would go with the pedestal. My reasoning is the new vise costs the same with either option but you can add an after market C-clamp cheaper than a pedestal in most cases.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
That's why I went with the Peak, HEAVY pedestal.
X2

ive had some issues using c-clamps not fitting on tables while using them traveling tying flies in the hotel room, went with a Peak pedestal and never looked back

my vote has been cast