The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   C-Clamp or Pedestal (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/291347-c-clamp-pedestal.html)

lthrnk03 07-15-2012 11:18 AM

C-Clamp or Pedestal

My skill has finally surpassed the vice that I have, so I am going to be getting a Renzetti Traveler. My question is this... Whats your preference...C-Clamp or Pedestal. The one thing that I have heard is that a pedestal will move around when you are doing things like spinning deer hair.

whalensdad 07-15-2012 02:45 PM

Re: C-Clamp or Pedestal

For what it is worth, I don't think there is any one right answer. It depends upon how you are going to use the vise (i.e. type of tying and where you want the vise placed). For me, I like a nice sturdy foundation to work from at home. Unfortunately, I also bring my vise to different locations and don't know what type of table I'll be tying on. To solve this dilemma I purchased a 5 (or 8 I don't remember) inch deep C clamp that I use at home to secure my vise to my tying table. When I travel, I just disconnect and I'm ready to go.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-1.jpg

Lee

MoscaPescador 07-15-2012 05:07 PM

One of the reasons that I sold my Traveler was that the base was too light. I tie everything from dinky trout flies to large streamers. Whenever I cranked down on the longer shank hooks, the vise would move.

Since my vise goes from table to table, I have a Regal with the heaviest base that it makes.

I would only own a c-clamp type vise if it was going to be used on tables that I knew that they could fit on.

Dennis

fishingfly 07-15-2012 10:04 PM

I currently have a box vice and have found it adequate in most situations. It does not have any sort of feet on it, so I would imagine that a legitimate weighted pedestal would be just fine. I also like being able to move my vice in the middle of a fly if I need to, just seems all around more versatile.

stenacron 07-15-2012 11:09 PM

I think the answer for the home work station is pedestal (by a mile). Clamp-type bases severely limit where you can set your vise up at.

For tying on the road, or "tying night" a clamp base might be a better choice as they are much lighter than a pedestal.

kayo 07-15-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 471236)
One of the reasons that I sold my Traveler was that the base was too light. I tie everything from dinky trout flies to large streamers. Whenever I cranked down on the longer shank hooks, the vise would move.

Since my vise goes from table to table, I have a Regal with the heaviest base that it makes.

I would only own a c-clamp type vise if it was going to be used on tables that I knew that they could fit on.

Dennis

That's why I went with the Peak, HEAVY pedestal.

stimmy7 07-16-2012 03:37 PM

C-clamps are ok if your table will accommodate one, but you have to tie at the edge of the table... and you won't be able to attach it to a bench table at a state or fed park.

You're right that a pedestal can be a problem when it comes to spinning hair on LARGE bugs, but no problem on smaller ones.

I have a c-clamp for my Regal and an extra stem- the one for the pedestal is shorter. On the Renz Traveler I bought, I went with the pedestal because I didn't plan to spin much hair on a rotary vise.

la_jolla1 07-16-2012 11:08 PM

I have an old 1998? DYNA-KING Squire, I have a pedestal for home and a C-clamp for when I travel

I guess I am indecisive.

Liphookedau 07-17-2012 08:11 AM

Many Vices come with Both The Pedestal Base as well as The "C" Clamp,some just come with The "C" Clamp,even though like others I've used both however I mainly now only use the Pedestal Base.

flyfisher117 07-27-2012 05:41 PM

Ive been wanting a pedestal lately. I originally went with the C-clam figuring it would be better in the long run.. Sure its fine at my flyting desk but when I go on vacation or stay with family most everyones tables have Routed edges that are at a slant, its impossible to attach my vice securely.

Im curious would it be hard to make my own pedestal? I have steel, a cutting torch, and a welder. It would not be pretty but it would work wouldnt it?