The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 02:59 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default So, I've got a block of foam....

I went to W**M**t yesterday and I purchased a big block of foam dirt cheap. It looked like I could make good use of it. It's pretty hard and dense. The foam is green and it's the kind you stick synthetic flowers in. It's not the kind with the big "pores" either. I'm thinking this could be a fun project with the Dremel and some acrylic paint.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So, I've got a block of foam....

Dremel? You can carve that stuff with a Popsicle stick.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Dremel? You can carve that stuff with a Popsicle stick.
This is true. I think it would work well, you may have to coat it in a few layers of epoxy or something for durability. I would love to see some pictures, maybe that will be my next stop.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 AM

I spent the day giving them a few coats of Sally Hansen's and they look good and feel pretty solid.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I make most of my poppers from salvaged lobster buoy foam.
First I'll use a saw to slice the foam to the length I want the popper heads to be
Then with a sharpen a piece of medal tubing I'll "punch out" the popper head plugs
You could do this more efficiently with a drill press and a plug cutter, but I just use a length of copper plumbing pipe and a pair of needlenose.
Your "plug cutter" must be quite sharp to make a clean cut

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM

The foam ended up being a bust and turned to dust. Literally. So, I got frustrated and cut a hunk out of my sandal with a razor and tried to shape it lol. It isn't pretty, but it might work. Bass aren't too picky at the ponds I go to. I'm pretty new at the popper game. I'll see if I can get a pic of the work in progress.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah the flowercraft and other types of styrofoam are a bust. You need a closed cell foam like what's in flip=flops or the sheets of craft foam they sell, which can be cut and glued together.

You can buy popper bodies pre-formed and hooks designed to hold them relatively cheap, maybe get a dozen or so in a size you want to work with or try a site like DP Poppers Products - DP Poppers at the bottom of this page he sells kits of materials that allow you to tie your own for a reasonable price (tell Steve Larry says hi)
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Try the foam marshmallows at a craft store, like these. I buy all I can when they're on sale.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

You can see the stacked foam bodies I've made in the fly swap photos section here. They're made by stacking and gluing (contact cement) craft foam and punching out plugs. I made the first set of plug cutters I used from various sizes of pipe, tubing, ammo cartridge cases, that I sharpened on a bench grinder. Eventually I bought a set of hole punches from Tandy leather.
Rather than gluing the plug on the hook, I punch a hole through with a heated bodkin, wrap a thread base on the hook, super glue, and push the hook through the hole. You can vary the fly's ride height/ attitude (butt up, butt down) on the water by angling the the bodkin through the foam.
Rubber legs go on the same way: hole with a hot bodkin, pull the rubber through the plug with a bobbin threader or leg tying tool.
I can't figure out a way to hold a plug on a axis so I can turn and taper bodies with sand paper etc. I've tried threaded screws, long skinny forks, blades. None hold the foam well enough to work it.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It's not foam but I've bought cheap cork stoppers at ace and they work great too.
oarfish likes this.