The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Eyesight/Low Light Frustration (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/291873-eyesight-low-light-frustration.html)

BigSky 07-21-2012 02:12 PM

Eyesight/Low Light Frustration

O.K., I'm frustrated. I use magnifying sunglasses, I carry cheaters in my pocket, I swear I am at my wits end. Last night, just after sunset, I was fishing a stream and had to switch flies. By the way, this happens in daylight too. I could not get the tippet through the fly for what seemed forever and then had trouble tying my knot until I decided to make it huge. I say all of that because I know this is a common problem. Heck it was a problem for me in days of better eyesight with small flies and tippet. Anyway I am seriously considering pre-tying, in the comfort of my home, pieces of tippet to all of my flies with a loop about 12 inches up the tippet. Then, whey it comes time to swap flies I can cut one off and use a loop to loop connection from my tippet to the piece of tippet that is pre-tied to the fly. Heck, tying a loop I can do in the dark so changing flies would be simple. Has anybody done this? Is it a bad idea? If so, why? I'm looking for any input you can provide.

jpbfly 07-21-2012 02:48 PM

Re: Eyesight/Low Light Frustration

Not a bad idea...but you could also try this:http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-threader.html
and train to make knots eyes shut...it's not so difficult after a while;)

Hardyreels 07-21-2012 02:49 PM

I believe that the pre - tied tippet would be a good way to solve the problem provided you are not fishing spring creeks or still water where the slightest thing may put a fish off. Finding how you will carry them to avoid tangled tippet is the only bridge to cross. I'm sure there are ways to get it done.

When I fished small stuff I found that besides magnification 'Light' was what I really needed. Heck, I began using a Flex Light (remember them) back in 83 - 84. Now I carry a head lamp that I can put on if I need to tie flies on in low light conditions.

fredaevans 07-21-2012 03:04 PM

If you're fishing 'still water,' almost close to that, try a furled leader with a tippet ring on the end. Tie fly to a foot of leader, then to the ring.

The other thing you may want to 'Look into' are yellow (low light) lens. They're called 'Shooter's Lens' for a very good reason. Folks here advertise the furled leaders, but "Joni/aka Furl-Girl" does a hell of a great job on these. Her's are 'tight as a tick' and I even use them (low water) on my light spey rods.

Jackster 07-21-2012 03:25 PM

If you have good insurance see your eye doctor and ask about cataracts.
I had cataract surgery on both eyes, one several weeks after the first. If I had more than two eyes I would have them done too, it was that good.
Besides seeing better it was like they took brown film off of each eye.

Other than that, good cheaters and a head lamp.

mikel 07-21-2012 08:41 PM

I'm told these C&F boxes work well. I have not used one more than a few times and it worked ok for me getting #22 midges on 7x. I would never have been able to manage it on my own.

Fly Fishing Box / Threader Fly Box -- Orvis

nickj 07-21-2012 08:57 PM

I've used the C&F threaders. They work great, but only get half the task done, you still have to tie the knot. For me it gets increasingly difficult as the situation gets critical- it's getting darker by the minute, there are several really nice rainbows rising, and I've just put the whole batch into a tree. And trying it with fluoro is even worse. Yes, this happened to me not long ago. Stronger reading glasses...

jcw355 07-22-2012 07:55 AM

I have an LED light on my cap. You would have to turn away from where your fishing to tie on. Threaders and the magnetic threader are your friend. You can also get a higher magnification clip-on lens to help. I would be in trouble without my clip-on lens, but I do have that magnetic threader on me.

BigSky 07-22-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, most of which I've already tried. I know I'm not the first to experience this. Actually, the knot tying isn't really a problem as long as I tie it big (how I practice with eyes closed anyway). I finally found a 4X pair of magnifiers that helped. I'm going to try the magnetic threader which I just bought. I also had a brainstorm and stopped in a fabric store today and bought some needle threaders. Thanks again, keep the hints and ideas coming. I'll try to provide information later on the needle threaders and my experience with the magnetic threader.

Have any of you tried this:

oarfish 07-27-2012 08:00 PM

Please don't take this wrong but take a look at No-Knot fas-snap, I also have your problem, all the best.

Rick