The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

whitedice is on a distinguished road
Default Explanation on different types of flies please?

Hey guys, I have been tying flies for a little while and starting to get past the point of tying wooly buggers and little foam spiders I was just wondering though, what are all the different types of flies, and how to tell when to use them. I guess what I mean is whats the difference between types of nymphs, and in what conditions would you use them. Hope that makes sense, I dont really know what Im talking about though. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be much appreciative.
thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Explanation on different types of flies please?

Books have been written about the subject.

It is probably best to pick a book like
Amazon.com: Dave Whitlock's Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods (9781558212022): Dave Whitlock: Books Amazon.com: Dave Whitlock's Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods (9781558212022): Dave Whitlock: Books
as an introduction to Trout foods and the imitations. Check to see if your library has it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Silver Creeks reply is about the best you'll get without writing volumes. And to add to what he said, there are many books that cover the subject, depending on what you're fishing for & where.

From a tying perspective, it's easier to just start with trying to identify what might be available in the waters you're fishing, or intend to be fishing, and tie accordingly. For example, there is likely something already written, that will tell you the possible insects & other prey in your area. State natural resources websites, as well as sites from local colleges & such may have some such information.

The next step would be to spend some time on the water observing & possibly collecting some of what you find, and then identifying what you find, and tying to imitate it. A simple search once you've identified a prey species will usually give a multitude of already established fly patterns to choose from.

This can be done for any type of water, from rivers & streams to lakes & ponds, to the ocean & estuaries.

As far as "fly" types, used to be simple, it was dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, streamers, terrestrials and bass bugs or poppers, and attractors and flies for many species would fall into one or sometimes two of these categories. Now, there are so many materials to use, that there is quite a bit of overlap. Plus, within each category there are numerous sub categories which often identify a specific life cycle stage of the specimen in question particularly with regard to insects.

Like Silver said, there have been books written on it! His suggestion would be an excellent place to start!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM

whitedice is on a distinguished road

Alright, thanks for the information. Ill check out a book and see where that takes me.