The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anvil Apex or Atlas?

Just wondering if anyone is tying on the Anvil Apex or the Anvil Atlas and what their thoughts are on each?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anvil Apex or Atlas?

Even though I have a few Vices I've made,accumulated & bought over the years I have been using an Atlas solely for Tying,sizes ranging from #14-#4s.
The only problem was the Machining was a bit rough,also I made a few slight alterations as I wasn't satisfied with it's assembly & now find it a good,it really grips The Hooks well.
Brian
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've wondered how much different the Anvil Atlas is from the Renzetti Traveler. They look quite similar, and I know I love my Renzetti, but it seems like it has less rough parts for stuck to get stuck on or torn with. Sorry I can't be of more help John!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Hey John, Iíve been using the Anvil Apex since Iíve picked back up tying again (thanks NAFFF) and like it a lot, itís made well, holds your settings works smoothly and easy to use with a life time warranty. The smallest size Iíve used on it so far is a 20 with room to work, the largest so far is a 4, keep in mind my last vise is the standard A and itís still on the bench, I chose the Apex after reading a link that Rip Tide had posted ranking vises.

Rick
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I've only been tying for a year or so but I really like the Anvil Apex; great price and solid built! No extra jaws to mess with; I've used it with 2/0 to 20 size hooks.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

I have the Atlas, and I really enjoy it. I have tied from 3/0 down to 22 on it and it held each one just fine! It is a little rough around some edges in the machining area, but for $120, at least I think that's what I paid, it isn't too bad. The rotary function is nice, but sometimes it's just faster to wrap stuff yourself. I also liked that it came with a base and a c-clamp to use!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

just bought an atlas last week. Tied only a handful of flies on it. hook set it GREAT. Grooves in the jaws for bigger hooks so they are set deeper and hold better. Took be two or three days to figure this out (via email with anvil).

I used to keep the hooks fairly close to the tip of the jaws and hence the problem i had with the hook moving in the vertical plane.

Once i set the bigger hooks, 1/0 2/0 and more, in the grooves, BINGO. No movement and i could nearly reshape the hook the hold was that tight.
Got mine for $125 on ebay, shipped from FL.

Great deal, great vise.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your great responses folks. If I go with the Anvil vise it will probably be the 'Atlas', only because I've always liked the true center axis rotation, but as a couple of you noted it does appear to have some rough mill work, I've noticed it in closeups pics on ebay. I'm just not sure which direction to go, for the price a rough finish could possibly be dealt with.

Now, I have another choice to make, I've just come across a used(very, very gently) Dynaking 'Barracuda' for $250.00 which normally sells for much more. The finish is perfect and jaws are in 'mint' condition.

The choice before me is this; Do I really need to spend the extra $125.00 to be happy?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Last edited by fysh; 10-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

go with the atlas. since posted the comment above, i've tied from size 8/0 to 18.
Save your other bucks for a new line or put it towards a new rod.

The atlas will serve all your purposes, though perhaps not as shiny as the DK
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The Atlas will do The Same Job @ $125 Cheaper,although Barracuda is also a Beaut Vyce.
I have The Voyager & the Jaws are unreal.
Currently saw them available for $120.
Cost me $125 plus $48 Shipping to Australia.
Brian