The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to take all of my fly material on the go?

It might be a bit big for what you are thinking of, but here is a tool box from Harbor Freight that I use. Downside: Made in China. Upside: A variety of drawer sizes.

Wood Tool Chest w/ 8 Wood Tool Drawers

You have to add felt pads or something to the bottom or it will scratch up your desk.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're trying to do this on the cheap, why not get one clear plastic tub large enough to hold all the materials and to allow for some expansion room. Then get yourself a box of large clear plastic freezer bags and put like materials in a bag. Better yet, maybe your mom will float you a few of them for nothing

I have one clear box that holds all of my dubbing that has a handle on top and checked the name of it. Then did a little digging on Amazon and found this:

Snapware Snap 'N Stack 6-Inch by 9-Inch Storage Container: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining Snapware Snap 'N Stack 6-Inch by 9-Inch Storage Container: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Not sure if size wise that's large enough?

Then there was this:

Amazon.com: Snapware Snap 'N Stack Portable Organizer, 14.1"x10.5"x3.7" Rectangle (Pack of 2): Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Snapware Snap 'N Stack Portable Organizer, 14.1"x10.5"x3.7" Rectangle (Pack of 2): Kitchen & Dining
Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 AM

bamboostalker is on a distinguished road

Ziplock bags and a black marker it all compresses real nice in a knapsack
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have a big fishing tackle box. I also went to a craft store and found a box for storing beads. The bead box has many smaller containers inside and can be used with hooks too and some dubbing. The box really can't handle everything but if you knew specifically what you were tying it could work for you.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I use Sterlite boxes, and plastic tubs. *with locking lid* They are pretty cheap.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Ive been watching for small-ish suit cases and duffle bags, found a couple in the attic. But not quite the right size.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
Ive been watching for small-ish suit cases and duffle bags, found a couple in the attic. But not quite the right size.

" Not quite the right size" such as too small or too big?

If they are to small that's a simple fix, just buy more material!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

I did not notice those snap-y stack things you posted jaybo, they look like they would work great!

Ill play around with baggies and tubs that I have laying around the house, if nothing ill go shopping again.

Thanks all!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Back in the day, I tied at the kitchen table. I had to pack up every time I finished. Since I wasn't buying much material, alot of my stuff was hair and feathers I picked up while hunting. Anyhoo, I started out using page protector sheets. They're available in sizes from photo slide up to full page, with lots of different shapes. Buisness card is exactly the same size as the lil' zip baggie many brands of hooks come in. Trading card size works well with carded chenille. You get the pitcher?
The pages go into 3 ring binders. I find lots of binders, especially big ones, at the used stores.
Now that I have a desk for tying, The poto pages go into hanging file folders. The file cabinet is the left legs of my desk. If I want to take a tying kit when I travel, I can take the pages for what I plan to tie or I can fill travel pages with a little of everything, put 'em in a binder.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I went to lowes and bought a $30 toolbox with 1.5-2" drawers in it. I think Stanley makes it? It works well for me! I'm able to keep all my hackle in one drawer, dubbing in another, feathers/hair in the third and then tools, thread, and other misc. items in the top compartment. It's worked great for me so far!