The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know it's an addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Love it Silver, that's hysterical!

Lots of great posts here, it has been enjoyable reading everyone's responses thus far.
Not only funny but true, at least in my case.

I have pale ginger dubbing fur from my Golden Retriever Tess and black fur from my current Gordon Retriever/Golden mix, Kate that I use for black dubbing. Both are long fine haired dogs that provide abundant dubbing.

Kasmir (L) and Tess (R)

Click the image to open in full size.

Kate

Hardyreels likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-02-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Silver, those are great looking dogs! When I saw the photo of Kate, her face reminded me of my beloved Max who was a black cocker. He had very fine silky hair that I used on occasion to make some ants with. He also had similar white hair on the end of his snout. RIP buddy.

Gator, that works for me. I have a few of the basic ones down fairly well and probably enough to get me by on the GL tribs.

TX you need to remedy that problem. Your excuse to justify to the wife is...if I have a Spey/Switch rod then you won't have to see me practice with your hair dryer and the vacuum! Of course you and I both know that you'll still likely practice with it when you can't get out
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

All I could get from my german shorthairs would be a sub for calf body, in brown or white haha. There hair is 1/2" long at best.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I brake for roadkill.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Hello Everybody....

My name is Larry, and I've been tying flies since 1964.

I haven't stopped for road kill since 2004, but I must admit... I've slowed down and reached for my knife, gloves and bags a time or two....
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

I admit i have stopped for roadkil ( pheasants mainly a few years back there was a dead peacock i stopped and grabbed what i could there was some beautiful feathers. I have cut a horses main and tail for the hair ( makes geat legs on small flies ) i have also hunted starlings for there feathers.

I am also contomplating getting some birds to raise up for hackle
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
I am also contomplating getting some birds to raise up for hackle
Are you saying this is sign of addiction

Doesn't hurt that they lay eggs

But I just thought everyone did these things you all mention, no?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
.....when you always carry a nail scissors and zip-lock, in case you see someone in a fur coat....
I was in line a couple of years back, behind a lady in the post office. She had a coat on with the coolest fur collar I have ever seen. I was admiring the fur and she said "Hi". I said hi back and asked what kind of fur it was. She didn't know. I told it was great fur and then added what great fly tying material it would be. She gave me a stern look and said "Keep your hands off my coat." It got some laughs. I was serious though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Not only funny but true, at least in my case.

I have pale ginger dubbing fur from my Golden Retriever Tess and black fur from my current Gordon Retriever/Golden mix, Kate that I use for black dubbing. Both are long fine haired dogs that provide abundant dubbing.

Kasmir (L) and Tess (R)

Kate

I have a Golden Retriever as well. I take her and have her shaved down every summer. I told the lady last year to save the long off white hair from the back of her legs for me. She didn't even blink an eye or ask why. Just said "Sure". I guess my disorder precedes me.

On a side note, When I have this one and my last one shaved, I leave the tail alone and their head. It makes for an odd looking dog. If anyone asks me what kind of dog they are I answer "Golden Retriever, but I have been taking him/her to Michael Jackson's doctor and having him/her turned into a yellow lab."

How could anyone not love dog's?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Here I was, tying up some white zonkers.......Snap.......wonder how much trouble I could get into if I kinda just strolled around the local zoo.....feather picking of course
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i never thought of the zoo i know who i wil be emailing shorty lol also going to call any bird sanctuarys and pet stores ( thank you for the idea )