The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hard as Hull

If the container doesnt have a lid go for it but this whole thread was about a stuck on lid!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with putting stuck head cement bottles in microwaves is that some head cement bottles come with metal caps.

For example, Wapsi Gloss Coat and some bottles of Umpqua Head Cement.

Click the image to open in full size.

Metal should not go into a microwave because it can cause arcing. The results are unpredicatible.

Microwave and metal

Secondly, because nothing bad has happened does not mean nothing bad will ever happen. Putting a sealed container of volatile material that can expand and pressurize the sealed container beyond it's burst rating is risky. Maybe it will and maybe it won't but if other methods are safer, why do it? Hot water on the cap is safer.

Heating uncovered materials that cannot pressurize is like comparing lighting gunpowder in an open flame vs a pipe bomb.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
If the container doesnt have a lid go for it but this whole thread was about a stuck on lid!!!
The question was specifically about Hard as Hull brand cememt
It has a plastic cover
I checked before I originally suggested using a microwave

I didn't think that I needed to explain, but I'm not stupid about this and I don't expect that anyone here on NAFFF is either.
I'll microwave my head cement for around 3 seconds at a time until I feel that it's getting too hot. I just don't throw the bottle in and walk away.
If you're hesitant to try .... then don't.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The good news is......... Dave got the lid off and no one was hurt I don't believe anyone was wrong with their reply and I did like the 'Vaseline' tip

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

I'm with Jim. My mother actually gave me a bottle of stuff that is conquer able to hard as nails liked it so much used about five coatings worth in place of epoxy for some if my cooper johns. Works great!