The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Hard as Hull

I just got some of this to try... used it once, set it down.. now.. I can not for the life of me get it opened.. any suggestions what might break it down?

I tried dropping some acetone down the threads (bottle upside down) - no joy...

Thanks in advance..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard as Hull

Use pliers.

Then vaseline the threads to keep it from locking on you.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

microwave it
Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I figured the pliers would crack the top for sure.. wrapped it in cloth with vise grips not too tight - worked fine.

And the Vaseline tip - we'll see how that works!

Microwave.. never would have thought of that.. thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have tried every head cement know to man and i always go back to Sally Hansen clear nail polish. I have never had an issue with it, you can buy it anywhere and its cheap and very effective.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

microwave it.

I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND AGAINST THIS.... most head cements are complex compounds that are flammable, even the VAPORS can be flammable!!
brucerducer likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
microwave it.

I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND AGAINST THIS.... most head cements are complex compounds that are flammable, even the VAPORS can be flammable!!
Sealed container + heat = expansion = presure building = BANG!!!!!!! plus the glass container = CALL 911
brucerducer likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
microwave it.

++++++to the above. If you want to heat it, soak it in hot water.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I figured the pliers would crack the top for sure.. wrapped it in cloth with vise grips not too tight - worked fine.
Glad it worked. I have an old semi truck tire inner tube that I cut up to get rubber that use for multiple purposes including opening stuck lids. Go to a truck tire service center and they will give you the throw away inner tubes.

I also make big rubber bands by tying the strip ends together to hold garbage liners in place. You can use a piece to "relax" coiled leaders but it heats the leader and is not recommended for the tippet. You can use it on the butt sections.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sorry to disappoint you all.... I microwave my cements regularly to loosen them up..
There's been no explosions... you only do it for a few seconds at a time just warm them up.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

this may seem like apples and oranges to some, but anyone that's built a rod or two knows that microwaving the rod finish will extend not only it's working time but the viscosity as well.

Same difference
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

After I open a can of varnish and split it into baby food jars I pop one in the microwave for tops 15 sec uncovered for wrapping guides, doesn't smell doesn't explode and I have yet to call 911. Another builder I know sets a can of McClosky's on an electric stovetop to get it hot before he dips. Just be smart about it and don't throw it in on the setting for baked potatos!
Hardyreels likes this.