The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What vice?

Thank you so much for the advise. been looking them up all over the web and hear mixed responses on all of them, I repatidly hear the Griffin Montanna Mongoose roary is not good and quality low. which leaves the peak and renzetti.
My friend ome over today and offered me his C&F Referance vise he got and never used for $500 its over my budget but i can save up and delay buying a new reel until end of the year anyone use the C&F refferance vice i havent heard anything bad about it apart from the price. i will be tying both trout and saltwater flies. i usually tie up a few dozen a week
vincent
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

There are some great deals right now on Peak Vises over @ebay.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

plus one for a Traveler.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've used a cheap basic vice forever, but was feeling rich and famous this summer and got a new Danvice rotary. Rotary vices have some advantages, but I have noticed parts of them are a tad in the way. I'm still getting used to it.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

if you travel c clamp сan be used with campground table (If you're in a wilderness, stick your knife in a log or stump)
Click the image to open in full size.

me & peak rotary Vise on photo
kayo likes this.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I just upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler. I absolutely LOVE THIS VISE!! I have the pedestal base and couldn't be happier with it. It has brought back a total love for tying. Prior to I had just a super basic vise that came with the kit that I picked up from Orvis. My tying skills quickly outgrew the vise and I found tying on it to be a hassle instead of enjoyable. I know the Traveler is a bit more expensive, but I am a firm believer in the philosophy of "You get what you pay for". I can say that this will be the last vise that I ever NEED(want is a whole different story )
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Renzetti is a good vise but I love my Peak.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with Renzetti. I've seen so many threads through the years of users raving about them. I'm not sure I've seen anything negative either.

With that said my stationary vise is a Peak. For the price, it is a great buy and solid build. It's not as refined as some of the Renzetti vises and has a simple appearance. None the less, it is highly functional. The standard jaws as mentioned are a bit chunky, so if you tie small, the midge jaws will be a recommended add on. I tied on it for about a year with the standard jaws before adding the midge jaws. One thing that I like about the Peak is that you can add or replace jaws pretty easily. They have salt standard or specific. Now they have added a tube fly head as well. I haven't had to deal with them yet, but I've heard great things about Peak's CS.

Have fun shopping, let us know what you end up with.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.

solid heavy vice.