The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default What vice?

well i am looking for a new vice my cheapy vice is ok but its time i upgrade i was going to get the Griffin Mongoose but i have heard that its not that great so i am not sure what to go for, I have been thinking either the

HMH Spartan Vice
Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise
Griffin Montana Mongoose Vise

I want a rotary makes tying so much easier and keep the price around $200 any suggestions?

Many Thanks
Vincent
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What vice?

I've had a Traveler for years, and I've yet to want a different vice.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Only one of the vises you listed is a true rotary that is made by a company that you know will be in business 25 years from now and will have spare parts.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I will be getting the traveler next, hopefully this week. It was a toss up between this and the dyna king for a while, then between the traveler and a Regal. The traveler is always the one that I end up deciding to get. The great range of hook sizes it can handle is great so I can bank out some size 26 flies for the Swift and then tie some saltwater streamers on the same vise.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you will be tying on a desk that you can mount a c-clamp, the Renzetti Traveler can be a good vise. I had an original Traveler (thumb screw jaws adjustable model) that I eventually sold it since I made the switch to a Regal. Mine had the pedestal which I found too light. Whenever I cranked down hard on the thread, the vise would move.

Dennis
Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

I like this vise: PEAK Fishing Home 150$
Renzetti very flimsy for me
I like the quality of the normal iron...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Give this a look, it may help Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I have the HMH Spartan and if I had to choose again, it would be the Spartan. This thing is simple, ties big and little flies and will last forever. It's a pedestal and serves my needs just fine. Sf
Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I just bought a Renzetti Traveller, and I absolutely love it. It was right at 200 and is the smoothest vice I've ever used! It seems I'm tying more often with this vise than I find myself actually on the river!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

The renzetti's, regals, HMH, Peak are good choices. Pick the configuration (c clamp or pedestal), based on the desired use. I will share some comments from a years worth of tying....(approx 12 to 24 flies per week).
Pros:
The pedestal version is heavy & does not move even with heavy thread pressure. The quality of all components is vey good. After a years use the jaws don't show any wear. The rotary function works well. The finish is pretty good.

Cons:
The heavy pedestal makes traveling with the vice tough. The way the jaws collet is designed causes interference when using a pinch grip to mount things (hair, tails, etc). I have tied with a Renzetti and I don't have the same issue with its jaws. Also, the standard peak jaws are pretty fat, imagine a blunt cone instead of a sharp point. I had to purchase the peak midge jaws for $30.

If I had to do it again, I would probably choose another brand just because the ergonomics to the Peak does not fit my hands.