The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dubbing Techniques

I am looking for a dubbing technique that will give me a super buggy look to flies without using sticky dubbing wax. Here's the fly I want to tie, but again...no sticky dubbing wax on hand for me.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dubbing Techniques

Well, you could use a dubbing loop, to give you those nice long fibers sticking everything, brushing em out with a dubbing brush, or you could also just use some spit to touch-dub it. Your choice, though I'd personally lean toward the dubbing loop.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Well, you could use a dubbing loop, to give you those nice long fibers sticking everything, brushing em out with a dubbing brush, or you could also just use some spit to touch-dub it. Your choice, though I'd personally lean toward the dubbing loop.
Thanks AJ. There's a good chance I will be in Buffalo at the end of the month. Thinking about fishing Ellicott Creek, as its only a couple minutes from my father in laws house. Maybe we can try to hook up while I am in town??
Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm with A.J. on the dubbing loop; I use it all the time.

And I must say I crack up every time I read about going fishing in Ellicott Creek. I did it 50 years ago and it wasn't much more than a slow, frog water carp stream. What a hoot. Glad things have changed! (Did I just type "50 years ago?? ugh)
Gary
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i personally hate using dubbing ( i find it annoying ) i have tried wax once was a waste of time i just get a pinch and spin it down on my thread while holding a tiny but at the top and spin it to the thickness i want and tie it on and remove any excess. not the best way but is quick and look buggy.

Vincent
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Let me know when you'll be in town and we'll get together for a beer, fishing, or both. Too bad you can't make the trip Gary, there's some spots on that water that I've proven are more than just frog water, though the carp are still good too!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I am partial to using the split thread technique, especially on small flies.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Hard to beat a dubbing loop for "super buggy" (plus durability).

Just curious - regarding dubbing wax - is it that you don't have dubbing wax, or you simply don't want to use it?

Here's a look at some pre-spun, twisted loop bodies (the thread is waxed though).

Click the image to open in full size.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=stenacron;475831]Hard to beat a dubbing loop for "super buggy" (plus durability).

Just curious - regarding dubbing wax - is it that you don't have dubbing wax, or you simply don't want to use it?

Here's a look at some pre-spun, twisted loop bodies (the thread is waxed though).

I have dubbing wax, but its not real tacky. The hares ear fibers just didn't want to stick to it. I'll try a dubbing loop and the good ole spit method for sure.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post

I have dubbing wax, but its not real tacky.
Man, I was secretly hoping that was going to be your reply... because now I can share something that may have a big impact on your tying (it did for me).

What if I told you a lifetime supply of the tackiest wax could be had for less than $2.00, and you don't even need to go to a fly shop to buy it? It's a toilet bowl wax ring and it is the only wax that I keep on my desk anymore.

Check it out: Make Your Own Dubbing Wax Toilet ring wax - Global FlyFisher

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring