Vintage Claret

Reaction score
Had a Coq de Leon cape hanging around for a while, and finally got to using it this weekend.
The feathers have an inherent aged or vintage look to them, hence the name of the fly.
I deliberately left the wing longer, a nod to Stevens, as many of her flies had longer wings.

first image gives nice pop to the wing, claret saddles flanked by CdL
second image shows the body better

Materials

Hook: Gaelic Supreme Mike Martinek Carrie Stevens Rangeley Size 2 8xl
Tag: Gold Tinsel
Body: Golden brown floss
Rib: Gold tinsel (round) leading claret floss
Belly: grey bucktail
Throat: Claret Schlappen
Wing: 4 Claret saddles hackles flanked by two Coq de Leon hackles
Shoulder: Lemon Wood duck
Side: JC
Head: Black

gatortransplant

Reaction score
While it may look "vintage", it also looks fishy! I may tie up some matukas here in a sec after seeing that tie Eunan. It won't look that good OR classic, but you never stop inspiring! We need to meet up for a tying session (read: lesson) soon. Maybe even some fishing ;)

Reaction score
While it may look "vintage", it also looks fishy! I may tie up some matukas here in a sec after seeing that tie Eunan. It won't look that good OR classic, but you never stop inspiring! We need to meet up for a tying session (read: lesson) soon. Maybe even some fishing ;)
Prob next fishing i'm doing is Salmon river for steelhead in the fall.

As for tying, i'm gonna have a table at the International Fly Tying Symposium at Somerset, in november. If you make the trip over there for the weekend again this year make sure to stop by and say hi.

I'm hoping to have an extra vise along with me. Maybe some wet flies or whatever....

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Sounds good. Not sure if I'll be able to make the symposium or not, I'll keep you posted. Salmon River in the fall is a possibility, however. Let me know if you need any steelhead flies tested before the trip, might be able to swing a few...