The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Vintage Claret

Had a Coq de Leon cape hanging around for a while, and finally got to using it this weekend.
The feathers have an inherent aged or vintage look to them, hence the name of the fly.
I deliberately left the wing longer, a nod to Stevens, as many of her flies had longer wings.

first image gives nice pop to the wing, claret saddles flanked by CdL
second image shows the body better

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Materials

Hook: Gaelic Supreme Mike Martinek Carrie Stevens Rangeley Size 2 8xl
Tag: Gold Tinsel
Body: Golden brown floss
Rib: Gold tinsel (round) leading claret floss
Belly: grey bucktail
Throat: Claret Schlappen
Wing: 4 Claret saddles hackles flanked by two Coq de Leon hackles
Shoulder: Lemon Wood duck
Side: JC
Head: Black
wilky and madjoni like this.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

While it may look "vintage", it also looks fishy! I may tie up some matukas here in a sec after seeing that tie Eunan. It won't look that good OR classic, but you never stop inspiring! We need to meet up for a tying session (read: lesson) soon. Maybe even some fishing

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Vintage Claret

thats a beauty
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work! I love the color in that fly.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That's a cracker there!!! I like the longer wing too although 99.9% of the time I'm not doing it on purpose
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM

kbranch is on a distinguished road

Nice tie, looks fishy!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
While it may look "vintage", it also looks fishy! I may tie up some matukas here in a sec after seeing that tie Eunan. It won't look that good OR classic, but you never stop inspiring! We need to meet up for a tying session (read: lesson) soon. Maybe even some fishing
Prob next fishing i'm doing is Salmon river for steelhead in the fall.

As for tying, i'm gonna have a table at the International Fly Tying Symposium at Somerset, in november. If you make the trip over there for the weekend again this year make sure to stop by and say hi.

I'm hoping to have an extra vise along with me. Maybe some wet flies or whatever....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sounds good. Not sure if I'll be able to make the symposium or not, I'll keep you posted. Salmon River in the fall is a possibility, however. Let me know if you need any steelhead flies tested before the trip, might be able to swing a few...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...