The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mudbug
  • 2 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymph Proportions

I'm hoping for a bit of guidance here. It seems every new pattern I try my proportions are all wrong, especially the head of the fly. If I'm using a bead my thread wraps over the bead, or crowds the eye of the hook. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Here is a picture of a prince nymph variation I was trying tonight. Basically a prince with a red band similar to a royal coachman.

Here's a picture of the fly I'm working on so you can see how thick my tie off point is getting behind the bead:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nymph Proportions

Everyone struggles with this, I bet if you took a top tyer away from his vice for a couple months he would choke the eye on his first few flies coming back.

The only thing I can tell you is if you are not leaving enough room you need to leave more.

Start your thread a bit back from the eye and don't tie anything forward of there until you are tying off the head.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Like Mudbug stated, we all struggle with this. One thing I have found that helps me is that when you start wrapping thread for the base, don't start right at the eye, leave about an eye width before you start wrapping.....it's kind of a reminder to not crowd the eye. Another thing that helps me is don't just tie one fly, make it a habit of tying at least six if not twelve of that same pattern, you will be surprised at how each successive fly improves.
fysh and jaybo41 like this.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from all. Larry nailed it! I always make it a habit to tie at least 6 if not 1 dozen of a pattern. The first 3 are typically not my best and are pretty much used for me to dial in my techniques for that specific pattern.

For some reason I couldn't see your photo so I don't have a basis to form an opinion on what you had tied. Try using a dubbing loop or some shaggy material for the thorax, it tends to hide the thread a little. Also, you might want to try a smaller diameter thread. For smaller flies, say 16 and down I really like Gordon's Griffith thread which is 14/0. I'll go up to 8/0 or even 6/0 for some of my 14's and larger depending on what type of fly it is.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Good advice from all. Larry nailed it! I always make it a habit to tie at least 6 if not 1 dozen of a pattern. The first 3 are typically not my best and are pretty much used for me to dial in my techniques for that specific pattern.

For some reason I couldn't see your photo so I don't have a basis to form an opinion on what you had tied.
Ditto- I couldn't open the image either so no specific comments BUT the advice you've gotten about tying multiples is right on the $$. If you're a fairly new tyer or you haven't tied in awhile, a good practice is to get an empty egg carton, number the "cavities" and place flies in them as you tie them... you'll be rather impressed at how much better they look as you get closer to #12!