The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

Exactly why it would remain anchored on my wall above my tying table or the like. I'll stick to fishing quick zonker patterns and such for tarpon (maybe this year they'll actually eat... please?). But I still can't get the image of one of these flies buried in the jaws of a silver king out of my mind, that would make one heck of a photo!

As a brief hijacking, is it this weekend that you are headed off to the SR?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Na, not this weekend. Not going until november now. Hate the Salmon run meat heads that show up early in the season

I'll tie you up a couple of tarpon 'lady amherst' on bigger eyed hooks, 2/0 is the biggest i think i have. When are you going to FL?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'll be in Florida in December, but won't be targeting **** (wow, I should have known it was going to bleep that, but I'm just so used to calling them that...) until next spring when the migration gets going. I don't know if I could tie one of those on for tarpon, they're just too great-looking. But if I do, that entire sequence is getting gopro'd! This is setting up all sorts of ridiculously high expectations, since my tarpon experience with a fly rod in my hands (granted it was only one short season with a lack of success for everyone involved, guides and otherwise) has so far been quite limited. Next year will hopefully see more time spent out after tarpon, gotta put a bend in the 12wt....

Don't blame you regarding the typical early season clientele on the SR, see similar activities here on some of our more popular Ontario tribs. Plus I have a lot more interest in the browns and steelhead than the salmon.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

From Kelson - The Salmon Fly

I've been intrigued by the topping wing flies and with an order of materials for other flies in the mail, I tackled this one.

Toppings aren't great either, but i worked with what i had.

Click the image to open in full size.

Eunan
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking flies!

Someone mentioned the mallard roof. I agree, one of the hardest parts of a married wing Atlantic Salmon fly.

Pocono
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM

Mixed wing fly

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 10-25-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Here's the latest.
Kinda like this pattern, though doing it again i'd make the wing more banded.

Hook is a Ronn Lucas Philips Limerick #5.

Generally quite happy. I'd like the wing to be a bit flatter at the back end, and also not pointing up.
ran into trouble again with the roof as i was down to my last couple of mallards. Need some **** hot stuff going forward.

I think generally i've progressed quite well lately in terms of the back end and the body, now my focus is going to be on the front end - roof, sides (which are a complete shambles here, also need some good teal etc) throat (which could be a fraction long on this one) and toppings.

I put a progressive rib on this one too for the first time, though you'd hardly notice it.

The magenta hackles i dyed myself, and quite happy with how they turned out too.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Love Atlantic Salmon flies for Steelhead fishing. Best hook I ever had in the 'vice' was/were/are the Double Partridge Salars. Gold and Silver are my 'passion.'

Had a very long time friend in from Colorado a few days back and he's an excellent tier .... waaaay out of my League. 'Humm, can I tie up some stuff for tomorrow with these?'

'Sure, do as many as you'd like.' Ditto the following evening (he didn't loose one that I know of). End game was I sent Joe home with every one of the Salars (Silver and Gold) I had. Suspect I'll be seeing them back about Christ's Mass time.

Anyway, I'm out and off to Google to see if I can find anymore (State side preferably). Bingo! Call Jack Cook and asked if he still had the hooks in stock?

'Yes, in sizes ... '

'I don't care (well do) what sizes you have, I'll take them all.'

Well, looks like I got them all, or close to it .... E-mail invoice was $250.00. Never have to buy one again .....
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM

I picked up some Amgold tippets and crests recently and wanted a go at tying with them, so i tackled the Black Ranger, which is another redo of a fly i tied earlier this year.

Not sure if the cream tippets work with this fly, but overall, it was a learning experience if nothing else.

I think the body is better than my first version but still not perfect; the body hackle is once again a shambles now that i see the picture, and ribs aren't evenly spaced.
This time i went for the open back, though i think in retrospect i'd like either the tail to be longer or the topping shorter.
Kinda lost the horns a bit too, they're not quite parallel on both sides. Cheeks could be longer and higher, and while not looking so, are actually quite bright in color.
First one is the Amgold variant, second one is the the regular version from earlier this year.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM

While I think I like the more orange tippets over the cream and the more closed back, I do like the look of the shorter tag on the second version. The red in the tail is also neat. As far as the spacing on the ribbing, I didn't really notice until you said something, and even then, only the spacing of the rearmost two is slightly off while the rest look just fine to me! The black dubbed head is interesting as I'm used to seeing the glossed threadheads on most your flies. Out of curiosity, what is the material that constitutes the horns?