The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

AJ,
Horns are blue and gold macaw tail. Head is black wool. Many flies call for wool or ostrich herl heads, though herl is much harder to get to look and sit correctly.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Neat, I like it. Keep 'em coming

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

long and low Durham Ranger 4/0 from Francis Francis.
Also used Am-gold crests for the tail and topping.
Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono, fredaevans and la_jolla1 like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking fly!

I like the whole Ranger series; and those derived from it.

Pocono
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM

Tied this one up over the last two nights.

Everything went swimmingly until the sides....my teal is poor and the gallina was worse.
Used sub for the green parrot in the wing; blue any yellow horns (no blue and red) Wool head (recommended by Radencich from the color plate in the book)

Pretty happy. Would have liked the wing a little lower - not enough taper off from the body will do that unfortunately.
And the 'leggy' hackle could be shorter too!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Got a few hooks from everyones fav Uncle Ronn.
This is the first fly from them - 5 more to go.
Started this one about 6pm and finished about 25 mins ago (9.05pm). That is the first fly i've tied in one sitting since i tied my first couple Jock Scott's right when i started tying classics last December. Took my time. Thought about stuff, redid some things and generally enjoyed the whole process in one go.

I'm extremely happy with the fly with one or two (actually 5) things i need to watch for in future.
1 - i think the butt could do with a wrap less
2 - I like the tippets in strands for the underwing rather than whole feathers. This is the first time i've tried it and it worked out ok. Perhaps a little short and they snuck out from under the wing at the tie in too.
3 - the woodie sides are nice and fat, maybe a bit too fat, and they also arent tied in the best either.
4 - i left too much space at the head and it resulted in a big red dome for the fly.
5 - i full gutted this one and seem to have a bit of reverse taper from the butt to the middle of the fly.

Hopefully you guys like it too

Eunan

Hardyreels, la_jolla1 and baseman1 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Each one just gets better!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

The GP crests look nice on that fly, Eunan.

That's my favorite way of tailing and topping an ASF.

Pocono
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great flies again Eunan
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Again on the vintage 1/0 hooks

Addicted To Vise