The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

I love anything "ranger" they just have a way of catching my eye
great tie Eunan as usual.

When you tie your flies do you make one side more presentable? When I tie in my topping I find I do not get that nice full affect if I tie it to look equal

thanks for sharing!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
I love anything "ranger" they just have a way of catching my eye
great tie Eunan as usual.

When you tie your flies do you make one side more presentable? When I tie in my topping I find I do not get that nice full affect if I tie it to look equal

thanks for sharing!
I try to make the mirror images both sides - its the only way to do it, othewise its just like tying half a fly...(I included both sides for you below)

As for the topping. If you select them right off the head you'll rarely find one that is straight enough to go right on the fly, you need to either wet them and shape them around a glass or some other object, or, wet them and put them on flat tile or piece of glass and fan out the fibers.
Hard to describe in words, but theres videos online about how to do it - just google shaping golden pheasant crests on glass or tile. you'll find something.

heres the newer more accurate model. I learned after i posted the earlier version that unlike all the other ranger patterns, the Irish Ranger doesnt have double tippets for the wings, but instead a slab of woodie rather than the smaller tippets.

So, I got home from a day watching rugby about an hour ago, four sheets to the wind, and sat down to fix 'er
BTW, great win for Ireland ( the other home nations, not so good, ha ha) but thats a convo for another thread

Took the blade to the head, removed the crest, woodie sides, and one of the pairs of tippets
got some new woodie to flank the tippets (unfortunately not matched) and used the same crest that came of 'er.

Worked out pretty well i think considering my slightly inebriated state.

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-24-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Gorgeous - which dressing is that? from the EJ Malone book?

I'd like to tie something very green as a present for an Irish friend on the East Coast - do you have a suggestion for a pattern that doesn't need a married wing?
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

It is the malone dressing.

Not sure about green without a married wing. The green highlanders are prob the greenist flies.

Of course, you could buy green dyed tippets and just invent one...
Aaron Ostoj has green tippets i believe, though they are 'very green'. Alternatively you could buy the bleached tippets he has and dye your own in a kelly green color

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Great looking flies! I really like the silver dr.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 PM

Thought I'd add the latest few in this thread to keep it going, as well as the next half done fly

Any takers on this one. Fly is nearly done. Wing is half constructed...might get it done tonight...

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Lee Blue (Malone)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
Lee Blue (Malone)

Half right. I used the pattern for the Lee Blue from Kelson, which is most likely identical to that in Malone.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 AM

Nice tie indeed - the cloaking with bronze mallard is outstanding
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
Nice tie indeed - the cloaking with bronze mallard is outstanding
Thanks!!
Three goes to get it like that, this one is the shallowest of the three i put on. The irish flies (i assume "Lee" is the River in Cork) usually have a nice fat mallard roof

Addicted To Vise