The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

Nice tie!

The single barb married wing on the Tom Ticker may still be my favorite (bottom of p1).

Have you ever cast one of those married wing flies, retrieved it from the water and taken a look at it? I did once and it looked a whole lot different.

Pocono
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Ha ha, that Tom Tickler is very poor by my standards today. Its on my list to retie, maybe i'll do it this week or next.

I've never cast one of these flies, but i did fish with Blackers MacPhearson on the delaware last season. It was a mixed wing so no real difference, but i know the married wings dont last even one swim down a run.
Trout wets, of which i've fished lots, are the same, one swim and the wing is ruined. Makes you wonder why you got to the bother of marrying the fibers in the first place....

Addicted To Vise
Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Makes you wonder why you got to the bother of marrying the fibers in the first place....
Yup, that's what stopped me about 2 years ago.

Pocono
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Again with the #6 Mustad Chestertown. Took the kirb out of it too.

Hope you fellas like it.

Eunan

AVON EAGLE
Click the image to open in full size.

Pattern as follows
Tag - Silver tinsel
Tail - Topping vieled with GP breast feather best side down
Ribs - Broad silver tinsel and silver twist
Body - Seals fur, yellow, bright orange, scarlet, fiery brown, in equal sections
Hackle - eagle dyed yellow (sub marabou)
Throat - Widgeon
Wing - Two GP swords back to back, with two or three toppings over
Sides - Jungle cock

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 09-18-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

Pictures of our flies are killing my by inches .... and telling me just how low level competent I'm at in front of a vise.

Edit: Note to Colin/Ard: 'Future pictures should be restricted to Yellow Lab Puppies and Kittens. That I can handle ....
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Rory 3/0

Hook is an old bronze Mustad Blind eye

Pattern is from Maxwell.

Took a few liberties here and there with materails (wool instead of chenille) and i left off the chenille head.
Everything else is as prescribed by the pattern.

Eunan

jaybo41 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM

Maybe a bit high. Head could use some work. Topping could be tighter to the wing.

Pretty happy with this one.

jaybo41 likes this.

Addicted To Vise