The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

Back in december i got the notion to start tying these flies.
With a little help from a few forum members i got started with a Jock Scott

Here it is. Jock Scott on a 3/0 Alec Jackson salmon iron
Click the image to open in full size.

Since then, i've been working though classic wet flies, streamers to finally get back to tying the atlantic salmon flies well - or better than the first above.
There have been many between then and now, some ok, most pretty bad, some of which i've posted in separate threads on the forums.

This is but the latest in my quest to tie perfect flies.

Fenian 2/0 from Pryce-Tannatt

I'll post more as i tie them in the this thread, rather than in separate threads for each fly.

Hope you like, and most of all, i hope some of you get inspired to start learning the skills to tie these awesome flies!

Eunan
bradyb and newby like this.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon flies

I believe the Jock Scott is going to be a tie that you always look back on and admire. I still have unused flies that I made in the period 1978 - 1983 that I can not replicate. I've seen many of the flies you've posted and believe the Jock Scott has a certain charm that will be hard to out do.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: As usual very gorgeous work, congrats!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Used new subs for IC and Toucan...they're much better than the dyed ringneck

Guest1, bradyb, wt bash and 1 others like this.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon you hit your stride with that beauty!!! I hope you got a frame all set up cause that should go up over the mantle right next to the soon to be caught on that fly Salar!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Those are dang good looking. Well done, especially on the bronze mallard roof. Those roofs are hard for me. I'm envious of your mad skills.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You have come a long way in a short time. Great job. Your proportions and everything are spot on.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Some masterpieces here....hats off Eunan!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks guys, more to come. Still a work in progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
Those are dang good looking. Well done, especially on the bronze mallard roof. Those roofs are hard for me. I'm envious of your mad skills.
Couple different ways to do it. I watched about 10 videos online and looked at a number of different SBS's, then i finally butchered all of them to get a technique that works....you just have to persist and eventually it clicks.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM

I tied this fly in June and didnt like it,
Here is the new one.
Here is the old one.
Liphookedau, bradyb and wt bash like this.