The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By angelo1987
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 07:25 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Finally order my fly tying kit

I finally decided to make the plunge into fly tying. Got a nice decent fly tying kit from J.Stockard also got a few extra tool's that it did not come with. It's supposed be here on Sept, 4th and I'am very excited can't wait but the hardest part is the waiting part lol. When I tie my 1st basic fly I will post it here!
ted4887 likes this.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finally order my fly tying kit

Nice work,

I just got set up a few weeks ago to tie, it is very enjoyabe. Be prepared to be a tad frustrated occasionally, but it will pay off.

3 tips I will give you

Tons of great videos on you tube of how to do it but be careful. It looks so easy on a 24" HD monitor, then you tie on a sie 22 midge hook....night and day difference especially when dubbing. Those vidoes it looks like the guys put a big ole wad on there.....they dont.Think a few fibers at a time

Tip #2
Compile a list of 12 flies you are most likely to tie alot of, write out all the ingredients consolidate and then go shop for thread,dub, beads etc etc

Tip #3 I got from this forum. CATALOG your tying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I keep an excel spreadsheet of each fly, the materials I used and any notes to myself. You will be amazed at how you can tie up a dozen whatever's then two days later go hmmm what hook did I tie that on

Have fun with it, I know I figured I'd be the last guy on the planet who could do it but I am actually now catching fish on flies I tied.
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Tip #4, and the most important tip of all.

Have fun!!!!

I should add also that now would be a good time to start figuring out where you will hide all of your future unnecessary purchases from the significant other.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

That is going to be the best part catching a fish on a fly. I know it's going to take some time just like me fly casting, take a little bit of afford but it's now rewarding catching a fish on a fly rod. Since my memory isn't that great I will keep notes like you have. Yes I have been watching a lot video's on you tube and I don't plan on tying a little #22 midge just too small for me.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously consider getting a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying, it is the best book I have seen teaching the fundamentals:
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books