The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM

willyfish is on a distinguished road
Default What do you think?

http://images.craigslist.org/5Ed5F85...b0fcd61faf.jpg

Guy wants $100 what ya think?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you think?

Can't see everything super clearly, but on initial look sounds a bit steep to me... you'd still have to buy stuff and the vise is 'serviceable' but you'd likely want to replace it soon after getting it.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If those spools of thread are new, they might be worth around $40 or so, but they may be used. I can't see what's behind the thread. Otherwise much of it looks like a collection of fairly inexpensive items with some more pricey items mixed in, added together they could be over 100? Might also be used. The Production Fly Tying is a good book, though I just checked it out of my library and read it. Hard to know.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 PM

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/spo/3248046594.html

Here is the full link. Now what ya folks think? Thanks. Sorry for just the single picture.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

The dub , thead wire is all 2-3 bucks a pop so as stated if full you thats good.

Those Dai Riki hooks are $5.95 per 50 pack so if they are full you have some value there. However if those hooks are all dry hooks and you tie nymphs then obviously it might not be worth it. If they are hooks you would use and they are full (full'ish) then $100 is a decent price for the whole lot.

Best steal is that Whiting Hackle, those can be upwards of $80
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

The value of the pictured stuff is well over $100 but the real question is are the materials and hooks going to be useful to you with what you plan to tye. Also the vise while will work is low end and you will want to up grade very quickly. If it was me I would pass on this deal
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

If you don't as yet tie, then IMO you could do much worse than to pay $100 for what is there.

As has been said, IF the thread spools & hooks are close to being full, then it's not a bad deal at that price.

That Whiting hackle does not appear to be dry fly hackle. Looks like one of their American grade saddles, which is good for buggers & such, and still something you could tie many flies with. Still, it's at least worth $20 new.

You could easily spend $75 or more on a "kit", which would not have as much usable materials, so this would be a good way to get started. You could very easily tie $100 retail worth of flies from what appears to be there.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Well those sold, so now I am in the market for a kit. Any ideas? I just want to tye some gnats etc.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Look for fly tying lots on ebay. You gotta search through alot of junk but sometimes you find some wicked stuff cheap too!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I as well as others thought The Price was a Bit Rich,as you said it sold.
I've found out by buying Tying Kits,you end up with stuff you never use,in the long run it's better to put your put Kit together of what your needs are. As suggested you can shop around & buy when you see it for a suitable price.
I know as I don't know how many times I've discarded gear which has never been used.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.