The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: The inevitable newb fly tying question

It really is worth it to get a good vise and especially a good bobbin that won't cut your thread. Start out tying with heavier thread until you get a hang of thread pressure and such. Breaking your thread is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered in my short tenure as a fly tier.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM

crashfromboston is on a distinguished road

Definitely stay away from kits. Many of us have been there and regretted it.
Buy a great pair of scissors. And a heavy pair of scissors to cut the stuff that will ruin the great pair. Buy a really good if not great bobbin. Ceramic tube or metal with ceramic insert would be a good place to start. (too many brands and types to go over. For the vise. You might get lucky and find someone
upgrading theirs and get a deal on a good one. Lots of flies have been tied on cheap vises too.

And yes it can get expensive. But check out fishy fullums book on tying with common household items. It shows cost cutting ways of tying flies that will catch fish. Relax and have fun.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Hey Junkie:

I just bought about my 3rd vice for less than 100 dollars. I agree with the other poster who said you don't need a kit.

I think a vice for under a hundred dollars but not less than say.....about $50.00 is a good idea

You only need one or 2 good CERAMIC bobbins, a hackle plier, and hooks etc to start

I wouldn't start by buying cheap, and then adding on. Buy good quality and proceed on an as--you---need basis. For example, I never used the Whip Finisher, because I whip finish with my fingers.

If you tie a Wooly Booger (wet streamer) Jailbird (wet nymph) or Griffith's Gnat (a dry) for a first project, you don't need much.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

after the season ends theres a fly tying meet every tuesday until april at the royalty center in charlottetown, stop in, its how I learned to tie
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM

trout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura abouttrout_onfly_junkie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful knowledge and advice offered. I spent quite a while going over various options in getting supplies to get going, wary of an all to good to be true kit. I ended up picking up vise first, by itself, followed by a good quality tool kit, plus a quality second set of scissors. As far as materials go I was able to get a nice starter package from a trusted online vendor who was recommended to me from repeat customers I know. Only thing left on the shopping list is head cement of some sort and thread in a couple of colors (black, brown, olive, red) I should be able to keep start-up cost under $200 in the end which is great.

Now i'm playing the waiting game while my materials and tools are in shipment mode. Hope to be up and running by the end of the week. I have prepared a work station with plenty of storage and work space. I've also picked out a few recipes and tie-along videos from youtube to help me get started, and have been taking in quite a few beginner tying videos online as well to try and get a head start understanding the processes. A friend of mine has also lent me his fly tying bible for a while until I can acquire a book or two myself. I'll be sure to snap a few pictures of my first couple of bug creations and post them to the site to see what you think.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for taking the time to offer insight on something unfamiliar to me.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
after the season ends theres a fly tying meet every tuesday until april at the royalty center in charlottetown, stop in, its how I learned to tie
Pretty sure Ill be joining this fall.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Before you buy anything, check with your local fly fishing clubs, organizations. There are fly tying class during the winter months in most locales. Usually all equipment is supplied and you'll get a chance to talk with and learn from experienced tiers for a nominal fee. Then you can decide on the equipment and materials you'll need.

This has been a successful approach for us; many newcomers tying with us go on and purchase their own gear if they decide to continue.
DRAG FREE!