The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM

jdamin is on a distinguished road
Default New to tying. Looking for vise.

Hello everyone.

I started fly fishing about a year ago and want to get into tying. Originally I planned to spend $100 or less on a vise but the more I think about it the more I feel as though I should throw out a little more money for a nicer piece of equipment. I've somewhat narrowed my search down to a few vises. The Renzetti Traveller, the Peak Rotary, the Anvil Atlas, and the Griffin Odyssey. I will be tying mostly smaller trout flies and possibly some larger bass bugs. The Renzetti seems to be the nicest but I'm still uneasy about the price tag. The only problem I have with the Peak rotary is that it seems to require an additional purchase of smaller jaws for smaller flies. Any advice on these vises (or others) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New to tying. Looking for vise.

Get the Peak. It's truly an amazing piece of metal. You really shouldn't worry about getting the midge jaws unless you'll be tying a lot on absolutely miniscule flies. I've tied down to 18's and honestly had more than enough room to keep tying. I really think that if you wanted to you COULD tie all the way to a 26. You wont regret the decision if you go with the peak.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would do well with any of those vises. I have the Peak Rotary and really like it. After I had it for about a year I bought the midge jaws, but you won't need them until you get to tying below a size 18. I tied for years with an old Thompson Model A, it was fine, but I really like the rotary feature on the Peak.

Larry
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Renzetti Traveler. Great vise, and loads of options.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 PM

jdamin is on a distinguished road

I'd like to go with the pedestal base and have noticed that the Renzetti base is much lighter than the Peak. Has anyone noticed any problems with stability on the Traveler?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Regal 'Medallion' pedestal for sale, great condition. P.M. if interested.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to agree with the Peak recommendations, but as I fish tailwaters (meaning lots of tiny flies), I got the midge jaws. If you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with someone who lives near Peak's facility and runs an online shop; he discounts about 10%, which is helpful because, as you say, they seem to option everything.

However, if under-$100 is important to you, take a look at the top-rated-under-$100 Danvise. This true-rotary ball-bearing vise will do everything the Peak does, and includes a lot of the accessories that Peak charges extra for. While it doesn't have an option for midge jaws like Peak does, their standard jaws will tie down smaller than Peak's standard jaws - I would say at least two sizes smaller than the Peak, meaning that while the Peak's standard jaws tie easily down to a #18, the Danvise will just as easily tie down to at least a # 22. I've had both and still do, so my comparison's are first-hand by tying on each. BTW, the only reason I bought the Peak is because I routinely tie flies smaller than what the Danvise will easily tie (no midge jaws available) - #24-32).

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 08-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I can't say enough good about my Renzetti (clamp) Traveler, but then I couldn't say enough good about my D.H. Thompson Model 'A' vise either.

I have only had 4 vises in my life and the Renzetti is the most versatile one for size 20 dry flies to 3/0 salmon flies the vise holds them tight.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the Peak rotary...great deal...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jdamin,

I think the Renzetti Traveler is a well designed vise but it is over priced and doesn't have ball bearings. I don't think any rotary vise at this price range should have sleeve bearings.

I have a Peak and the base plate is heavy and it has an auxiliary hole for a stub shaft. You can put a stub shaft in the second hole to hold accessories. If you buy the midge jaws and the D handle you are up to the price of the Renzetti Traveler. The Peak is made from steel and brass and I like that better than the aluminum constriction of the Renzetti.

Frank