The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie .. trying to learn how to DUB

Lots of great information and perspectives. I also learned on a Thompson A vise and it served me well for most of the time I've been tying. Maybe 7-8 out of my 9-10 or so years.

I upgraded and went with a Peak vise it's a great value for a rotary vise. I did however add midge jaws but only after trying the standard jaws first. While they're not a requirement, they do make tying smaller flies easier. I also added the brass screws, which I wish came standard. Overall I am very pleased with it.

When it's time to upgrade, I'll likely go with a Regal, but I'm sure the Peak will continue to serve me well for years to come.

A friend of mine has a Griffin Montana Mongoose and it's also a nice vise that comes with a plastic case--which I think is nice if you plan on taking it with you ty tie during trips.

Can't go wrong with a Renzetti either.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New to tying. Looking for vise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
F2F, you speak good info. I did start on a cheap $19. stationary vise. But, after two weeks of struggling, I broke down and bought the Renzetti. If I wasn't interested in tying, I sure was now.
I have been tying professionally for many years and have used or owned many vises.
The price did go up big time on the Renzetti, but it is worth every penny to me.

I still have my Vosseler Double Jaw I take on shows because it is a cool looking and functional vise, but the ease of the Renzetti earns it's place on all trips.

I agree with what you say, but, the better the tools, the more one will enjoy it. If it is a struggle they will loose interest. Just like rods, guitars, tools....
Joni, Well you talked me into it. If you and Mojo like the Renzetti vise that much they have to be a great vise. I bought one Saturday at Cabelas. They are pricey but they look and feel very good. I will see tomorrow as my grandson and I are going to tie some flies. That little 8 yr old GS has really taken to tying. Oh, back to the subject, sorry, I drifted. Anyway, I have seen the quality of your flies and they are very impressive. Who knows in 10-20 years maybe I can turn out some flies that resemble yours.

Thanks for the encouragement, Boser
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

WOW!!! That is just what i needed! Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Coolhand,

I read all the posts and you are on your way. I am a creature of habit and most often use the single thread that Mark told you to learn first. To make it foolproof I use Overtons Wonder Wax, sticky, real sticky. The wax will stick the hairs to your thread and you just twist it down a bit. For big fat dubs i make the loop and spin it with my old hackle pliers. That is tricky but you get the hang of it and it will make a nice tight yarn for you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Jimmie,
The video you are looking for is from the Weekly Fly website. It is Kelly Galloup tying his ant acid pattern. Here is the link to the video Kelly Galloup Ant Acid - 15:19

For anyone getting started with dubbing it is very important to use small amounts of dubbing, you can always add dubbing, it's hard to take it away.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That's exactly the one Biggie. Thanks. Kelly Gallop, how could I not find it? Got to tie that ant acid too.

Had a chance to dub some Gordon?