The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Can Someone Explain the Different Types of Hackle and Their Uses?

I've seen posts, read web sites, and books, but still need someone to explain how the different types of hackle are used. I'm just starting out and I want to make wooly buggers in size 10 and I think I need saddle hackle but I'm not sure. When I look online It gets very confusing. Do I buy a full cape, 1/2 cape, strung, something else? What size do I get, only those in size 10, or will a 12 work, something bigger, smaller? I'm sure in the future I'll need to use hackle for other flies so any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Can Someone Explain the Different Types of Hackle and Their Uses?

Just found the following post which answers my questions:

Rooster Necks vs Saddles Uses, and Selecting from a Neck
Old 11-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That's a great post by Peregrines. Good for most of us to review.

Size 10 Wooly Buggers- Just get yourself cheap #3 saddles. It will usually have two of the things you need working for you, larger sizes, and webby feathers.

You almost have to separate your dry capes/saddle vs wet capes/saddle purchases. Not that you can't find some of each on a #2.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

here's Mark's post:http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...eir-uses.html;)
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ditto on Mark's posts, those and the guidance he gave to me has been invaluable. If it were not for Mark, Ard, and a couple other folks on this site that took the time to answer my posts, send PMs, etc, I probably would have given up tying flies as it can be (and still is sometimes) very confusing.

d