The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road
Default New to tying flies! Need Help!

So this hole $2.00 a fly thing is getting pretty bad, and I figure it's probably a lot cheaper to tie my own. This being said I would like to buy a nice kit to tie flies with. Any ideas for a decent economy friendly fly tying kit haha!

Tight Lines!
Scott
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to tying flies! Need Help!

Wapsi sells a couple of kits through fly shops. The materials are good for being in small sample sizes. The tools are decent. The vise is okay for a basic vise. The basic kit runs $60ish in most shops. The deluxe kit, which has more materials for more patterns, sells for $70ish.

If you can afford it, I would piece meal your fly tying kit. Get a quality vise and tools from the start. You won't be fighting a vise to do what it should be doing (holding hooks). You would have tools that work well and last.

Do you really save money with fly tying rather than buying flies? Some will say yes. Some will say no. Eventually there is a break even point, but that will depend on the flies that you will be tying. Dry flies can be costly due to the cost of quality hackle. Nymphs can be costly if you decide to use tungsten beads. Steelhead/Salmon flies can get costly due to the costs of the exotic materials used.

MP
Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Dennis about buying a good vise and good tools to start...remember it's a great pleasure to tie flies and a greater one to catch fish on your flies...Don't know if you'll really save money
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Scott: Take a look at this thread discussing discount flies, maybe that is the direction you should take: Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?

If you still want to get into tying you might check with your local fly shop to see if they offer fly tying lessons. If not check to see if there is a fly fishing club in your area, a lot of times they will hold fly tying lessons.
Here are a couple of shops that I buy materials from: JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Fly Tying

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing :: Fly Tying Materials

If you fly fish for trout I would recommend that you pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying", it is by far the best book I have read on fly tying.
Amazon.com: charlie craven: Books Amazon.com: charlie craven: Books

Larry

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Scott, Like Larry said, check with your local shops or clubs about fly tying classes. If you do decide you want to tye follow the advice about a decent vise and tools to start off with and definitely get yourself a good book on tying. Charlie's book is a good one, and Randall Kaufman has some very good books. Have fun...

Dan
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 951tightline,

Getting into fly tying to save money may be the wrong motivation. Fly Tying is a hobby and like most hobbies they cost money. MP is right that you might save some money some where in the future but it does depend on what flies you are tying.

The best reason to get into fly tying is to learn more about what you are fishing and the great satisfaction you get from catching fish on the flies you tied. I think if you want to save some money on flies then buy the very cheap ones available from many sources on line. Some are cheap and tied pretty good. Some are cheap and are a lousy tie. Starting out as a fly tier it takes money to get equipped and buy the materials you need. Then count on $20 every time you visit the local fly shop for more materials. Then you need a desk and a camera for sure. Last but not least is the $50 to $100 order you mail in for special materials every other month or so.

On the other hand if you have a wife we all know tying your own flies saves a ton of money and you would be foolish not to tie. Our wives love for us to save money on our hobbies.

Frank
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... The first fly I ever tied was made from my mother's knitting yarn and 49 years later I pretty much still tie the same way.
My flies aren't fancy, I don't spend a lot of money on materials. I really don't tie for fun, I just tie to keep myself supplied.
On the other hand though, I'll only fish with what I've tied myself and that's been the way it is for a very long time.

Suppose you were fishing your favorite stream and came across a deadfall/snag/rootball that you just knew had a huge hook-jawed brown hiding under it.
You know that you're going to have to slip a fly under that mess to even get the fish give it a look and there's a 87% chance that you're not going to that fly back.
Do you think that you'd be happier sacrificing a few store-bought flies or would you rather loose a few of your own creations that set you back maybe a dime apiece?

(You could always play it safe and keep walking )
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Rip Tide,

That is an evil thought. but I love it.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rip is right,

I usually send the Pawns under the log jams and save the Queen for a less threatening spot, 'usually'

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

Thank for the advice, I am planning on spend 100 to 150. Like you guys said, I would like to start with good tools so I don't have to purchase them in the future. You guys have any ideas for my price range? Much appreciated.

Tight Lines!
Scott