The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Craven's beginners book

I'm loving the book and flies are coming along great, just wish I wasnt hitting bottom in my pockets >.< This is my 6th CJ.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Craven's beginners book

Yes, I have to agree, Charlie Craven's book is a great!

Larry

Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

That CJ looks great Charlie. Copper Johns are a tough tie for me, it's one of those flies I just buy.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Verry nice CJ! I tied my first two using Cravens website. I have that book and its great, but for the way I have my tying area set up its more convenient to use my laptop than an book so most often I use his website. After I make time to tie a few more I'll post them. Though that one I think looks better than my first two.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree. Charlie's book is tops. Here he is tying a 2 minute CJ, and it's perfect. This video is Charlie Craven tying:
2 Minute Copper John The Daily Fly Paper Blog
He gets the body really leveled with thread before his wire wraps. I think that I watch this every time before tying a CJ just for a refresher.
Your fly looks good.

Last edited by Jimmie; 05-19-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Jimmie, Thanks for sharing that video. I find it interesting that in the video he ties in the Partridge as separate clumps, but on his website says to cut a 'V' in the feather hold it over the top pinch down the the quils on each side of the 'V' to the sides of the fly and then tie them in. The way in the video looks more simple, but I guess with practice either would be just as simple. I wish the showed him applying the apoxy-I didn't have any trouble with it, but it would just be nice to see him do it.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:11 AM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, waiting for Charlie to get some brown hen cape in before I learn the prince. Payday Wednesday, time for more material!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Holy ****, he flies on that CJ.