The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough
Default Easiest Patterns and Sizes for a Newbie

So, I am really stoked to try my hand at tying. I have asked my wife for a tool set and vice for Christmas so I am looking to put together a material list for the first few patterns I will try.

I live in NM and typicaly fish the streams and revers here in Northern NM. The flies I use most are as follows:

Olive Woolly Buggers
Moscitos
Hares Ear Nmphs
BWO
Adams
Hoppers

Typically I dont use very big flies for the buggers I use size 10's then 16-20's for the smaller ones.

So which of these are easiets to learn and what size recomendations do you have. Are there other flies I should start with just to learn on? Thanks for your suggestions.

James.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Re: Easiest Patterns and Sizes for a Newbie

I feel like most people when they begin to learn about fly tying, their first fly is a woolly bugger. I think its because there are some many different techniques used in the pattern that it is a good first fly.

To answer your question, I would say start out with some buggers - size 4 to 8. Then move onto the hares ear and then to the dries. Hoppers can be tied in so many ways that some are easier than others. There are some fairly simple foam patterns and then there are some more difficult patterns that use turkey feathers and deer hair.

Tyler

- Tyler

Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I second what Tyler said. Start with buggers then hare's ear. Ease of tying will generally decrease with hook size so start with a 6 or 8 bugger to get the steps before going to the 10. Another good reason to start with buggers is that the materials are cheap. Some beadheads and/or lead-free wire for weight, flash, and perhaps copper wire, then maraboo, chenille, and strung hackle all in olive (or whatever colors you want) won't cost much and will tie a lot of flies. Hare's ears aren't tough, though 18's and 20's will be harder, and will teach you to use dubbing. If you don't use a hare's mask, get dubbing that is very spikey, like Hare's Ear Plus. Hopper patterns can go from fairly easy and cheap foam ones to harder ones using deer hair and feathers, though they are fun to learn.

BWO's and Adams will be harder to tie both due to size and getting the hackle wrapped. They will also be more expensive since you will need dry fly hackle. When you want to start with those and look to get hackle two good options are whiting's 100 packs which are $20 each and hook size specific, or if you can foot it, one of these starter packs which gets you what you'd need for Adams, though the bronze grade might not get you many size 20's...

If you can find someone to tie with, that's a great way to learn. If not, I've found YouTube videos are invaluable for watching techniques for tying the various flies. enjoy!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

So after the Woolly Bugger, the second fly I learned to tie was a Damsal Nymph on a size 10 Mustad 9672. That Damsal Nymph was the first self tied fly that a caught a nice rainbow on. Used olive marabou for the tail and body, and one shade darker olive marabou for the wing. Other than that, 6/0 olive thread.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

This is a great source of patterns with excellent step by step videos.

Wooly bugger is one of them. There are many others and the list is added to quite regularly. Check them out.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

If it's a material list that you are after it's amazing how many different flies that you can tie with a natural Hare's mask; pheasant tails; peacock tail feathers.
Starting out I would mostly reach for size #14 hooks.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

This is a really great forum, just tons of solid practical advise. I can really buy in to starting with the wooly bugger, it ties on a relativel large hook and I use 'em a lot. I also like the idea of doing the hares ear nymph second. My brothers favorite rig is an olive bugger trailed by a hares ear nymph. I can tie a ton of these and they would get used, before I move on to some of the other more difficult patterns.

James
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

# 12 Montana Nymph
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 AM

labail is on a distinguished road

I know my first fly was the wooly bugger, very simple and different techniques used makes it still a favorite today when i just feel like tying something simple.
I would also second the hare's ear is another good beginner.. Learning the ends and outs of good dubbing was something that took me some getting used to.
Another simple, cheap, and effective fly is the pheasant tail. That fly works everywhere and is not hard to make.. I find it also is similar to other patterns, so a great fly to familiarize yourself with. Whatever you do, practice makes perfect.. The more you tie the more you'll see an improvement.. Don't ever worry about "having too many"
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
# 12 Montana Nymph

+1 for the Montana Nymph....often an over looked pattern, but can be Deadly when fish are pressured by the more common nymph patterns.

My most favorite fly for a long time was a white montana with chartreuse thorax....that thing was the bees knees for me on slow days![COLOR="Silver"]

Addicted To Vise