The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM

dadharr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vice Selection for Beginner?

I am new to this site, but have been tying flies for 41 years on a basic Thompson vice that came in my first fly tying kit that I bought at age 12. Only recently did it start to have trouble gripping hooks, probably because I am on a midge kick and there just is not enough tension to hold them. So at age 53 I finally bought myself a Christmas present and got the Dyna-King Trekker from my buddies at Eldredge Brothers Fly Shop. Tied my first fly on it just now and used the rotating feature and I think I have passed on and gone to heaven!!! My advice for a beginner is not to spend a bundle until you know you have the bug and this will be a long term love affair. I tied a lot of flies on a very inexpensive vice and they still caught loads of fish. When you know this is a passion then make your life easier and your flies a work of art by investing in a better vice. Get to know your local fly shops, the mom and pop shops that have time to drink a coffee and jaw with you about fishing and fly tying, and try out several vices to see what best fits your tying style and budget. I spent about $250 on the Trekker and know that I will be long gone to the big trout river in the sky before I need another vice.

Tight lines.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I'd second the Dyna-King Trekker. Great vice at a reasonable price.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I don't want to start a war, and I have a regal style vice I now use most of the time, but I also have a vice and tools from a cabelas deluxe kit that is still fully serviceable. I mention this on this thread only because if you want to get into fly tying cheap, to see if you like it, Cabelas has both of thier tying kits on sale right now - $20 for the standard, $30 for the deluxe (I have the deluxe and used it to to tie flies for ~3 years before upgrading the vice). I still use most of the tools from that kit as well though I have upgraded my bobbin, whip finishing tool and scissors.

If you want to get in cheap and see if you like it, seems like an inexpensive way to do so. And, you can always use it for a travel kit if you want, hard to lose for 20 or 30 bucks depending on which way you want to go.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

I enjoy my DanVice. Properly adjusted I have noticed no wobble as one person mentioned, & have NEVER had it come loose from the table (make sure the rubber pads are in the clamp.
I will say that I have less tying experience than most here...

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."