The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Tying nOOb seeks advice...

I have never tied a fly. Not that i have been fly fishing all that long anyways. I like flies so much every time i pass a bin full of flies i usually buy some. lol

For Christmas my wife got my the Orvis silver label fly tying kit. I figured even if i dont become one who ties all his own at least i will experiment a bit.

So, i need some advice setting up my work space. Should i get a dedicated tying desk or maybe a regular type desk with room up top for a portable tying bench and needed accessories?

I'm left handed, will that make a difference? Are tying desks ambidextrous or does the lay out of the various bins and holders generally favor a right handed person?

Does anyone have a link or two to a retailer who makes good desks or benches?

What do i need to set up a well functioning tying area?

Any and all help really appreciated. Hopefully you all will save me from a costly mistake that didnt work out.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tying nOOb seeks advice...

I bought a portable Kitchen work station with a drop leaf on each end and a drawer in the front center. I got it at a moving sale when I lived in a condo in Anchorage and paid 20 dollars for it. It has wheels and fits perfect wherever I put it. Solid ash construction and just the right height, thats what I use.

This picture is a couple years old but this is the look;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I can't speak on left handed tying because I tie right hand orientation but I don't believe it matters.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: At this point, I wouldn't sink much money into a tying desk, I'd recommend getting something cheap like Ard suggests or maybe picking up a folding table from WalMart. First figure out whether you will enjoy tying before you sink much money into it. Good luck.

Larry

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I'll just add what I believe was one of the reasons that contributed to myself getting out of tying once I started before. The reason for that was not having a dedicated space for tying and having to drag all the materials out tie up what I wanted, then trying to neatly put things away as to not completely stuff things in a box and not be able to get going quickly the next time. It all just got tiring so I lost interest in it and just resumed buying flies. I actually decided to stop tying until I made a station, which took an introduction to to a new hobby of woodworking and a few years......I got distracted . So long story short, Yes get a tying station or find a garage sale desk and a corner you can put it in that is also acceptable to the one you share that living space with, very important part right there.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Vans: At this point, I wouldn't sink much money into a tying desk, I'd recommend getting something cheap like Ard suggests or maybe picking up a folding table from WalMart. First figure out whether you will enjoy tying before you sink much money into it. Good luck.

Larry
+1 to that.
I use a pedestal vise and carry it about the house. Sometime I tie in the office, the dining room, the garage or the back patio. No rush to necessary until you figure out how you like to work.
If you haven't seen them yet, youTube has tons of good videos. Look for David Cammis and Davie McPhail to name a couple. Have fun and good luck
Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks a ton for the advice gentlemen.

I have a computer room in my house where i can make some space for a permanent area for a table. The wife has already agreed to the removal of a futon we have that doesnt get any use beside the stacking of junk. Once that is out of the way i will have quite a bit of room.

Anyone found any accessories, etc that have been a huge help?

Ard, i like the looks of that desk. Plenty of room up top and below for additional storage options.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I forgot one other detail, I got the stool that I use when tying at a thrift store on Northern Lights Blvd. for $2.50. Together they have made a good pair. I've added more storage cabinets on the table top but there is still plenty of room. As soon as I start tying this winter I'll take an updated photo, it's become a regular nook in that corner.

having your own space is real important for the tying mojo, it just helps. any set up you make will quickly become your special spot. before moving from PA. in 2003 I had a great big oak roll top desk that I bought for a fly tying station in 1978. I did not take the desk with when I moved it became a gift to a former employee along with other huge heavy items. The point is that I am just as happy at my 20 dollar kitchen work station tying a fly as I was at that expensive roll top, it's all in the mind

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I started tying on a spare table in the garage. No organizers, no tool holder, nothing. The more I tied, the more I came to realize what I liked and how I wanted a desk laid out. 2 years later, I have a desk and storage containers that I'm happy with (although never enough storage ).

So my advice would be get a pedastal base, and like darwin says, just sit down and tie. How you want a desk to be laid out will come to you. Then you can shop craigslist, thrift stores, garage sales, etc. to find what you want. But until you spend some vice time, you don't really know what you want.

What you will find is so much about tying is personal preference and taste. Sure, there's the patterns (a pheasant tail isn't a pheasant tail if you use a turkey biot), but how you actually tie that pattern will be different for each of us.

I hope that makes sense.

Don't forget to post your flies. There's some very talented tiers here that can give you valuable feedback. I know that was very helpful to me when I was starting out.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm left handed but like many other things in life I just learned to tie right hand style. I know Renzetti makes a left handed vise but at this point I'm not sure I could use one.
On the tying station I agree with notenuftoys and Darwin, what ever you set up now will probably be all changed in a year. Pull up a chair, stool, milk crate, keg, whatever you find and start tying.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
. Should i get a dedicated tying desk or maybe a regular type desk with room up top for a portable tying bench and needed accessories?

What do i need to set up a well functioning tying area?
I use a big old metal office desk that I got for free. 3 drawers on each side. Tools in one top drawer, threads and other small stuff in the other.
Besides that I have an "experienced" 5 drawer high boy dresser, a recycled file cabinet and a large bookcase for storage
..... and I still don't have enough space