The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Thinking about trying to tie my own flies

Never tied a fly nor saw any1 ty before. What do I need to begin tying? Tools/Vises etc?...Something cheap just to get into the tying world. Is there any tying kit's out there? Do I have to buy everything separtely?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thinking about trying to tie my own flies

Cabela's has some nice kits for sale. Not too bad on price either. IMO If you can afford it, don't go for the cheapest thing out there, you probably wont like it. At the very least, pay attention to customer reviews. You can go cheap on some things, but other things will only frustrate you.
Youtube has a lot of tying videos out there. That's a great resource too.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Angelo, Tons of posts on tying flies, here is one I put together a while back when someone asked a similar question. cheap and effective fly tying.

Now, It all depends on how much you want to spend, and I am sure others will have opinions. Most agree that a good vice is a must, so even if you get a tool and vice kit, you will probably upgrade at some point to get a better vice and a better bobbin, but I have tied with the tools and vice from a Cabelas Deluxe kit for a few years now and while I have upgraded the bobbin, and I have a new vice, my kit stuff still works and will tie flies.

also check out the nymph tie-along some great flies and most of them are beginner ties - all include material lists.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

X2 for not just getting the cheapest kit. Don't skimp on scissors,I like Dr slick. Besides a vise, I'd get general purpose scissors, ceramic tube bobbin, bobbin threader, bodkin, hair stacker is good if you're tying flies like caddis, hackle pliers are helpful (I like the English style), and arrow scissors and hair scissors are good for fine work and cutting hair.

As you'll learn there are tons of tools to get but the above is about what I started with. I'd get materials separately, pick a couple patterns to start with and buy what you need. Watch youtube, ask questions here, and post pictures!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

All good advice from the others, the only thing I will add is pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (assuming you are tying freshwater flies), you can't go wrong with that book and learning to tie with Charlie's help. Also try to find something local where you can take some classes, maybe the local fly shop or local fly fishing club, Trout Unlimited Chapter, etc. Your learning will be much faster with a little hands on help.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Tons of great info already posted, but i'll add this.
If you're thinking about it to try to save some money, then that is the wrong reason to start, because if you get into it hardcore, like most folks, it'll end up costing you more in the long run. That said, I wouldnt have it any other way as i absolutely love tying flies, and most of those i tie end up in the boxes of other folks and not my boxes.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

You can find lots of goodies on the cheap at craft stores:
good scissors, beads, foam, feathers.
Some thing are just as cheap at a fly shop though;feathers from a shop are higher quality.
A cheap vice will get replaced if you really like tying.
Stainless/ high quality hooks are made from harder metal than a cheap vice, so they will start to degrade the clamping surface.
Starter kits generally have cheap tools that get replaced if you really like it.

In my opinion, you will save a ton of money even in the first year. Especially if where you fish has a lot of snags. Buying tiny little flies for $2 is a waste unless you have a good job and not so much time, and would rather spend the time fishing.

Good patterns to learn the basics for all sorts of others (just google search for videos), color variants are endless, and trout like variations!
copper john (my personal favorites are black, olive, and copper brown)
prince nymph
zebra midge
caddis pupae (verrrrrry productive in summer)
pheasant tail
hares ear nymph
san juans, eggs
elk hair caddis
comparadun
parachute adams (a bit tougher)
trico spinner
foam ants, beetles, spiders
stimulator (harder than a elk hair)
cone head wooly bugger
pine squirrel leech.

I believe with that arsenal you could catch trout across the continent.
Umpqua sells 50 packs of hooks that are good for learning. Once you get something down nicely, tie it on a nicer daiichi or more expensive hook.
DO IT!
TB
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I started tying flies thinking it would save me money. ROTFLMBO. If that is your reason, you should definitely rethink it. If you have an obsessive or addictive personality like I do, you should rethink it. If you want to tie flies that are better quality than you can buy, in colors YOU WANT, use better hooks etc... then you should get into it. I would suggest finding someone in your area first, who can show you a basic lesson or two first, before you buy. Fly tying is an obsession for me. I also like tying classics, and tying my own originals. Start out tying known patterns, before you strike out on your own patterns. If this has not scared you off, WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE, there is NO GOING BACK, once you crossed that line....
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
All good advice from the others, the only thing I will add is pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (assuming you are tying freshwater flies), you can't go wrong with that book and learning to tie with Charlie's help. Also try to find something local where you can take some classes, maybe the local fly shop or local fly fishing club, Trout Unlimited Chapter, etc. Your learning will be much faster with a little hands on help.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books
This book, combined with some weekly lessons with a local Fly Fishing Club, was just what I needed! I'm not anywhere near a "good" or great tyer, but I've moved from beginner to novice since January.

With regard to tools, I tend to have a heavy hand, so breaking thread was a VERY common problem for me. By upgrading bobbins, I now use a tension-adjustable Rite Bobbin, and this is no longer a problem for me!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I'm the exception to the rule, but I've tied all my own flies for over 35 years and don't spend a lot of money doing it.
I also should add that I've always disliked tying and only do it to support my fishing habit.
Normally I wouldn't recommend buying a 'kit" but Hook & Hackle has theirs on sale and knowing them, it's probably worth it.