The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

NEMNflythrower is on a distinguished road
Default Couple Beginner tying questions

I've got a couple questions about my decision to tie my own flies rather than rely on others. For tools, what would you recommend that I need to start with (brands, and essentials)? Also, the majority of fishing I will be doing will be smaller streams for brookies, rainbows, and browns, so what would you recommend for patterns to start with? Are there any materials that are used a lot more than others? Thank you all for any information

-Isaak
Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Couple Beginner tying questions

no brands are essential, but more expensive USUALLY means better quality, but not always.
Tools - bobbin or 2, whip finish tool, bodkin, hackle pliers, sharp scissors, fine point and general use.
For materials all depends on what you are going to be tying, but genearally a good start would be Pheasant tail, dubbing (awesome possum give great buggy flies), some flash material either loose or spooled, wires, silver and gold to start, peacock herl

I'm sure some others will chime in too.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Issak: For tying for freshwater fishing, get yourself a copy of Charlie Craven's book, it is one of the best that I have ever read and he will go through the tools you need and each tie has a materials listing.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMNflythrower View Post
I've got a couple questions about my decision to tie my own flies rather than rely on others. For tools, what would you recommend that I need to start with (brands, and essentials)?
Here is a link to a thread in the FAQ section. Read it.

Hopefully you have a well stocked shop with fly tying gear and someone who knows what he is talking about. Don't be afraid to ask what that person uses.

Quote:
Also, the majority of fishing I will be doing will be smaller streams for brookies, rainbows, and browns, so what would you recommend for patterns to start with?
First tie a San Juan Worm. You will learn thread control.

Next tie a Woolly Bugger. That will give you the foundation for a lot of flies.

Quote:
Are there any materials that are used a lot more than others?
Yes. I use thread and hooks more than any other material.

Seriously, you will figure this out as you tie more and more. It depends on what you will be tying.

Dennis
Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Isaak,

I like Larry's approach with the recommendation of the reference book. The author has put a great deal of time and effort in providing a book that will be the foundation for years of tying to come.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM

pilgrimdg is on a distinguished road

"For materials all depends on what you are going to be tying, but genearally a good start would be Pheasant tail, dubbing (awesome possum give great buggy flies), some flash material either loose or spooled, wires, silver and gold to start, peacock herl."

This is a great starting trout list. A variety of possum dubbing, some #14 scud hooks, and some lead wire can catch fish for a long time. This to me would be the absolute cheapest and most efficient way to start. My next suggestions would be a hare's mask, some dyed mallard flank, and black marabou in addition to the earlier mentioned materials.
I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle, and therefore an enemy of the Otter: for you are to note, that we Anglers all love one another, and therefore do I hate the Otter both for my own, and their sakes who are of my brotherhood.