The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road
Default Tying vice for beginner

I'm thinking about taking the leap and investing in a vice to start tying. I know very little about vices and what someone would look for. I would like one with a base so it could be portable and also in the $100 range. I'm planning to start tying streamer patterns and bass bugs. Someday hoping to get into dries as well. Do you guys have any suggestions on brand or models and or features to look for in a vise? Any info would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tying vice for beginner

I know you wanted to stay in the $100 range....but this is a great vise and I own it also. It is about $200. It is worth every penny. I did buy a cheap vise when I began tying and I wish I wouldn't have wasted the money on the cheap one.....

This is a renzetti cam series traveler vise....I love mine!
Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Griffin Fly Tying Vises

I don't own one but check it out. I own a Peak and a Thompson-A
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'd vote for the Renzetti as well, its very portable, just make sure to pull the base out when you run it through the xray at airports, otherwise they'll ask a lot of questions... actually, they'll still ask a lot of question. But it's a great vise! I started with an $80 danvise but upon bending out the jaws I went straight to the Renzetti. It's worth it to spend the extra money for a good vise I would say.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road

I started tying recently and have been using a Cabela's Master vise as my first vise. My Dad tied on it for awhile before giving it to me. It cost about 30.00 and it's easy to use. After quite a bit of use the tips of the jaws started to flare making it harder to hold small hooks. I'm pretty sure this was caused by tightening down too much on larger hooks. Other than the tips flaring a little the vise has been great. I would recommend it for a beginner vise. That being said I would like to upgrade to a nicer vise, but the Cabela's vise works well enough that I've been putting off upgrading it for other things like tying materials.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
I'm thinking about taking the leap and investing in a vice to start tying. I know very little about vices and what someone would look for.
Singular - Vise
Plural - Vises

Quote:
I would like one with a base so it could be portable and also in the $100 range.
If you really want to do it right, invest in a high quality vise. If you don't, you will be wishing that you did. I'd set aside $175 or more.

Quote:
I'm planning to start tying streamer patterns and bass bugs.
For these types of flies, you will need a vise with a powerful set of jaws. There is nothing more annoying having to reset jaws to make sure a hook does not move.

Quote:
Someday hoping to get into dries as well.
Cool beans, dude.

Quote:
Do you guys have any suggestions on brand or models and or features to look for in a vise? Any info would be awesome.
True story. I was at a local fly shop's after hours tying session. Local Signature fly tyers for Montana Fly Company and Umpqua Feather Merchants, commercial tyers, and schmucks like me attended. Everything from dinky trout flies to monster bass bugs were tied. There was one thing consistent between all of us. We all had Regal vises in front of us.

Regals are popular for two reasons. First is the simplicity. Simply squeeze a lever when inserting a hook. Then release the lever to close the jaws. There are no silly adjustments to make in order to get proper pressure against the hook. Second are the powerful jaws. If one is not careful, one can easily easily bend hooks by pulling down too hard with a bobbin because the hook won't slip. $165 will get you a c-clamp Medallion Series vise. $220 will get you a Medallion Series vise with an aluminum base.

If you are looking to true inline rotary, Dyna King and Renzetti make great vises for that style. If you don't know what rotary tying is, look it up on YouTube. These two brands have easy to adjust jaws that don't need frequent readjusting.

Quote:
Thanks!
You are welcome.

Dennis
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

I know some folks that love their Anvil Atlas...and at about $130 shipped, pretty good deal...I cannot personally atest to one, but I have heard great things...Ther is a vise shootout thread somewhere on here. I'm sure someone will chime in, Dave

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm also looking to make the jump to a better vise. I am currently using Super AA and find myself getting frustrated with it. I find that often I am wanting to spin whatever I am tying just to get a better look at what I am doing. I am really thinking about getting the Renzetti Traveler.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've tied all my own flies for 40 years.
Don't be talked into spending a lot for a vice. Waste of money.
You need something of quality construction that solidly holds the hook. Nothing more is important.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I'm partial to HMH myself. The Spartan will run you close to $200, but it's worth it.