The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My 1st few flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
Hello Angelo,

You did a good start

I am pretty sure that your flies will catch some nice fishes. Often it is not so important that the flies are looking perfect, sometimes my oldest and frayed flies gets the best fishes
As Thorsten has mentioned & most of us have found,Old Frayed,mangled Flies still catch Fish.
Brian
willyfish likes this.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Willy fish I got my kit from J.Stockard. The Wapsi deluxe fly tying starter kit priced at 78Bucks some tool's aren't included such as a bobbing threader and a whip finisher are 2 thing's I brought separate. The whip finisher didn't take me long to get it down. Hardyreel yes I got a guide book, actually the book isn't great I think they left some detail's out. I'am planning on buying another book for beginner's. Thanks noreaster for the pointer I don't know the best section to get the hackle from top-bottom.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Stockards prices are OK,Waspi is good gear,I import Materials,HooksTools etc, mainly from The US & have sourced some good suppliers over the years.
Even though I have a Library of 250 + Books on Fishing,Flytying The Best Book I have & have seen explaining how to Tie Flies,although it's expensive is The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Ted Leeson & Jim Schollmeyer,even though it's not a Pattern Book it explains everything very well..
Also Jim Schollmeyer's work in Photoghaphing is nothing but excellent.
I picked up a copy a few years ago,on special for $78 even though it usually sells out here for over $100 +,it's also on CD & DVD.

Brian.