The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default My 1st few flies.

Just got my fly tying kit on tuesday. Nothing special but I'am proud of them and some are my wife's also. I need alot more practice have done alot of error's but I'am learning from them little by little. I'am having the trouble understanding what section do I take the hackle from or the turkey tail etc.... to tie on the hook. They aren't perfect but good enough to catch Bluegill's

Any pointers?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: My 1st few flies.

Nice. Way better than my first offerings. Shouldn't have any trouble getting raises with those.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Everyone has to start somewhere, get on youtube, it has a lot of fly tying videos. I've yet to attempt certain flies because I'm too cheap to buy hackle. Nymphs mainly for me so far.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Angelo.
As mentioned go to You-Tube & watch Davie McPhail Tying,he Ties so many Patterns,you'll definately learn The Finer Points from his Videos.
I wished they were around 40+ years ago as it's a lot easier than following Step by Step instructions out of a Book, however your Flies will still catch Fish.
As I've mentioned before An Old Scottish Friend Tied the roughest Flies Imaginably,he caught lots of Fish & his Motto was "If The Fish want Tailor made Flies I will Tie em for em".
Brian.
williamhj likes this.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

also check out tightlines productions on vimeo - simple nymphs, and buggers, some dry flies and midges too...worth your while to watch some stuff being done
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Angelo,

You did a good start

I am pretty sure that your flies will catch some nice fishes. Often it is not so important that the flies are looking perfect, sometimes my oldest and frayed flies gets the best fishes

THORSTEN
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
.... sometimes my oldest and frayed flies gets the best fishes

I agree. You asked for pointers. Only one that stands out for me is your hackle size may be a little on the large size. No matter if you only had a certain size. I was taught that on average, the tips of the hackles should be long enough to extend just past the barb of the hook, if that is any help. Keep up the good wraps.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM

willyfish is on a distinguished road

what kind of kit did you get? I need one as well.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice start Angelo,

I know that it will be boring to tie half a dozen of one type fly but doing so will move you on after getting some basics down.

Do you have a fly tying guide book?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its probably a good ride but worth it for what you could learn, but check out Tight Lines Fly Fishing. Its up in Parsippany about 2.5 or 3 hrs from you but Andy or one of the guys in the shop can help you pick out materials to match whatever it is you want to tie. There are probably closer shops to you but since The Fly Hatch moved to Fla. these guys were my go to shop while I lived in NJ. You're off to a great start and these guys could give you a little extra push in the right direction. Not to mention you'll be in the right area to sample some of the better trout streams in NJ. Make a weekend out of it Panther Lake (excellent bass fishing) Campground isn't too far and you won't get jammed with seasonal rates, catch some bass, and I mean big bass too, hit some of the trout water in the area (if its cool enough) learn some stuff and have fun with it!