The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Epoxy Brand

Hello,

I use the brand "UHU", but I don´t know if it is available in the US. Often I did prepare too much of that material at the same time, so I use a crown cap and a tooth pick to mix the right amount for one streamer.

And there is another advantage - Now, I have a reason to drink a bottle of beer to get enough crown caps

THORSTEN
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use and sell solareze uv products, drys clear..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I would look into Bugbond UV resin. It isn't cheap but it is some great stuff.
So I finally picked up some Bug Bond and had a chance to tie with it. WOW, this stuff is the best epoxy I've used. The Original Lite makes excellent coverings such as what you'd use for Copper Johns. I can see the Lite stuff being excellent with smaller flies, like Two Bits or smaller CJ's.

I'd imagine for something like a scud back or where a thicker coat is needed the original formula would be the way to go?

I am officially converted. Great stuff. Anyone who's not happy with their current product or curious about trying something different should look no further.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Try Finney's flies epoxy - best that I've used

DEER CREEK RESIN
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've recently started using CCG and have not been disappointed.. A quick coat of Sally's and the tack is gone
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, I'm a CCG fan myself, love the stuff!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Flex Coat rod building epoxy. Have never had a problem with it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Devcon 2-Ton
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Jor Fly:

I don't know which Epoxy you got, because Gorilla Glue makes one that dries clear, and one that dries white. Perhaps you picked up the white by mistake?

I currently use either DevCon or Loctite Epoxy.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Had the same problem as you until I found "clear" epoxy. Wish that I could tell you the brand, but just have the double tube with no label.