The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Epoxy Brand

I'm looking for a good epoxy brand that will dry clear and stay clear.

I made some Copper Johns using both Gorilla Glue and Loctite 5 minute epoxy and allowed 24 hours of cure time (I used both brands to test which would be best since both were very radily available). However upon use, flies made with both brands showed that the epoxy had turned a milky white color. I have since made more flies and added a coating of "hard as nails" polish. This seems to have solved the problem, but I'd like to have a good epoxy to use that doesn't require a second coat.

P.S. The water the flies were fished in was a class 2 stream (KY classifies streams 1-4 with 1 being cleanest and 4 being dirtiest). The water temp. was ~ 65 degrees.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Epoxy Brand

had that problem with Loon too.. I went back to Z-Poxy.. never had an issue
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've been using Devcon brand for many years, as I can get it locally at hardware stores. However, I don't use the 5 minute stuff. It yellows badly, and I often coat painted poppers & such with epoxy, so I don't want it to turn yellow. Plus, I prefer to do epoxy work in large batches, coating as many as 50 flies at a time, and 5 minute epoxy is not good for doing this. Instead, I use the 60 or 90 minute, which takes longer to set up, but when mixed properly, stays clear for a very long time. Seems the faster the set time, the more & faster it yellows.

I have a popper body that I made several years ago, painted white & epoxy coated & it still looks white. Although it probably has some yellowing, but not enough to notice a significant change.

I've not had the issue you've had, except when thinning with alcohol that has a higher water content, such as isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and the milky white only seems to stay that way until after it sets, then it gets clear as it hardens. I generally only thin epoxy when using it to coat popper bodies.

I now opt for thinning with ethyl alcohol sold as camp stove fuel, which has a very low water content.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Clear cure goo .have great results. With all clear cure goo on foam and wing cases must use a good uv light . Easier to work than mixing epoxy.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 AM

FunkyFlyTying is on a distinguished road

I would look at the Uv cured resins that are now available.
Personally i use Bug-Bond which has the market share in the UK.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I used to always use a good 20 minute epoxy. It didn't yellow and dried hard and strong. 5 minute expoxy seemed a bit weaker and turned yellow after time.
I've been trying to get a bit more modern with my tying and got ahold of a mix of Clear Cure Goo products. I know it's all the rage but some of it still dries with a tacky finish that requires extra fidgeting with. I may break down and try some of the newer, supposedly nonsticky CCG but for now I lean towards Puglisi's 20 minute epoxy.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

In the past I've used the Loon product which never really held up even with a coating or two of Sally Hansen's over top. Then I switched to a 5 min epoxy, which certainly has durability but is difficult to work with. I'm going to give CCG Hydro a shot, I have been hearing very good things about that.

Anyone have experience with the Hydro product that can share experience?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I would look into Bugbond UV resin. It isn't cheap but it is some great stuff.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

My fly fishing club here at Penn State provides an alcohol based head cement for dues paying members. This being an alcohol based product does not harm the environment not sure what it is called but it works really well
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm casting another vote for Clear Cure Goo. That stuff rocks.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...