The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Material Recomendations for Christmas list!

Jaybo,

Well I'd like to tie in the 14 to 16 range, with the majority being 14's. I fish in KY and most of the mayflies I've seen are about 12 to 14, so I'm erring on the side of caution so to speak. Now having said that, I am FAR FAR FAR from an experience dry fisherman. So let me ask this: If you were in the south east: say in the smoky mtns. What size would you recomend?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Jaybo,

14 flies will work great here in ky, but I want to be exact for places like the smoky mtn's where fish can be picky.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with Smoky Mountain insects jor fly, I don't get down that way to fish. Hopefully someone with experience in that locale can offer you better insight.

A quick Google search yielded this chart. I can't say how accurate it is but if you do some digging, maybe even call a fly shop or two in the area you might get some better info?

Smoky Mountain Hatch Charts
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what jaybo said about grizzly being a versatile color replacement for the various dun colors. In my experience, while the 100s packs are very consistent, there is some size variation. I mean, if you bought the size 14 pack, you will find some feathers that will be closer to a 16 - particularly at the tip ends of the feather, and also some that are large enough to tie 12s.

I got away with a grizzly and brown combo saddle pack for a long time when I was starting out. Eventually you'll want something lighter, a nice ginger or cream, and something darker as well, but to start you'll be fine with grizz and brown.

A couple patches of deer hair is always nice to have around as well! The good ones have nice long, straight fibers that are usually a really nice grayish brown at the base, these are excellent for compara-dun mayfly patters and even downwing style mayflies to get that solid gray wing if you need it without having dun color hackle.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=jor fly;483514] If you were in the south east: say in the smoky mtns. What size would you recomend?[COLOR="Silver"]

If you're talking brookie streams I like 14 1XL and 16 1XL for Ausable Bombers, Wulffs, and Stimulators. Then have some regular 14 and 16 for EWC and Adams type flies. I've yet to encounter picky brookies on mountain streams, they have to eat what looks like food. What can't be caught with dries will take Picket Pin wets, Tellico nymphs, Green Weenies and general attractor wets/streamers.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Everyone, thank you very much for all your help. I've got enough information now to finish my list off and give it to my wife. Hopefully I'll get most or everything on it. Lol. Btw. I am gonna take some advice and get some dubbing for BWO and tie a few up Adams style. Be nice to have them. Already been tying up some heptagenia patterns using tan and grey dry dubbing after I found and ID 'd one earlier thus year. Fly tying had really turned me into a bug nut lol.