The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Need Material Recomendations for Christmas list!

Ok folks,

My wife has asked me to make a list of fly tying materials I want for Christmas. There are some specifics I already have worked out, but i need recommendations for what brands/items to pick for a few of the things I want:

What kind of post material for parachute adams??

Squirrel or rabbit fur dubbing for hares ear style and other buggy nymphs?

hen back or grouse feathers for soft hackles (I have partridge, but would like something brown in color, rather than black and white).

What grade and brand of hackle/cape for size 12-18 dry flys? (The majority of these will be 12/14/16 adams, parachute adams, royal coachman dry flies, royal wulff). I have a nice grade one grizzley hackle but would like a nice brown, or even brown died grizzley (there's only so much you can do with a brown sharpie!). Yes I KNOW i didn't mention BWO, but I'm still working on the fine points of the aforementioned patterns, one fly at a time.

What type of wing material for royal wulffs?

What brand of eyes for clousers??

Good economical site for buying died Buck Tail and bugger hackle?

Finally, a good brand for golden stone and mottled oak thin skin.

Thanks Everyone. I'm primarily a nymph fisherman, but after a trip earlier this summer where I only caught a handful of fish because they were feeding on the surface, I began tying dry flies, but found myself limited to size 12 and 14 adams (improvised due to lack of brown hackle, had to color the grizzley with a sharpie). Eventually branched out and did some simulators and deer hair caddis with the grizzley hackle and some brown rooster neck hackle I had. (The deer hair caddis got thrashed when I used it! Had a blast with that fly, glad I tied multiple!) Now I've found myself really wanting to perfect the look of my dry flies, as well as get some fresh materials to vary up some of my other patterns, I just need some advice with what's best to use, and what brand.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Material Recomendations for Christmas list!

Below is my 2 cents regarding some of your questions, others will have different (and likely better) advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Ok folks,

My wife has asked me to make a list of fly tying materials I want for Christmas. There are some specifics I already have worked out, but i need recommendations for what brands/items to pick for a few of the things I want:

I use several materials including deer hair, cdc, calf hair/body hair, polypropylene yarn, and turkey flats. The yarn is probably the easiest to deal with, some folks can recommend cheaper versions of it, I don't have a particular brand recommend.

Yes! I usually use rabbit. You can buy packs of Hare's Ear Plus brand dubbing (it's really buggy) and multipacks of the dubbing in different colors, or just buy a hare's mask and cut the dubbing off.

hen back or grouse feathers for soft hackles (I have partridge, but would like something brown in color, rather than black and white).

You can buy Hungarian partridge in different colors, either whole skins or packs of feathers. I also use starlings for soft hackles.

What grade and brand of hackle/cape for size 12-18 dry flys? (The majority of these will be 12/14/16 adams, parachute adams, royal coachman dry flies, royal wulff). I have a nice grade one grizzley hackle but would like a nice brown, or even brown died grizzley (there's only so much you can do with a brown sharpie!). Yes I KNOW i didn't mention BWO, but I'm still working on the fine points of the aforementioned patterns, one fly at a time.

Depends on budget. On the low end would be to get 100 packs in brown, or you could get a cape with a wide range of feathers. I've found this chart helpful for figuring out what size feathers the different grades tend to have. Advantage of getting a cape is that you'll have the smaller feathers available as you start tying smaller flies.

White calf tail or body hair, though you could use the yarn from the parachute adams.

Thanks Everyone. I'm primarily a nymph fisherman, but after a trip earlier this summer where I only caught a handful of fish because they were feeding on the surface, I began tying dry flies, but found myself limited to size 12 and 14 adams (improvised due to lack of brown hackle, had to color the grizzley with a sharpie). Eventually branched out and did some simulators and deer hair caddis with the grizzley hackle and some brown rooster neck hackle I had. (The deer hair caddis got thrashed when I used it! Had a blast with that fly, glad I tied multiple!) Now I've found myself really wanting to perfect the look of my dry flies, as well as get some fresh materials to vary up some of my other patterns, I just need some advice with what's best to use, and what brand.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Answered what i could based on the flies ive tied or materials i've bought

Quote:
Ok folks,

Get some awesome possum, much buggier than squirrel or rabbit

caddis fly shop has whiting hebert hen capes for sale for about $4, not sure what colors are left, but they are GREAT for soft hackles. Otherwise, india hen backs are good too.

Tackle craft has great bucktails and cheap. if you order from them, ask them to select bucktails with straight hair, not wavy, the wavy hais is a nightmare to tame. I've ordered a couple times from them, fast shipping and reliable.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good advice so far.

Just wanted to point out the Hackle Thread here that Peregrines made, full of great info. It's a serious read! http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...heir-uses.html

Traditional parachute posts are calf tail, a really nice straight and bright white hair ... but it's bulky as heck and I find a real pain in butt to tie in and stand upright, and it's really bulky. I gave up on it a long time ago. If you want to use a more practical material, go with poly yarn. It ties down easy with very low bulk on the body - which I find really important. You can get it in a plethora of colors and it floats, too.

For Hare's Ears and nymphs in general, I've been using a Hare-tron dubbing mix forever. Get a container with a dozen colors and use it for a dozen years. But I've been meaning to try Opossum, and Eunan's recommendation is all I need to go find some.

Hen capes are great for soft hackles and flymphs and I love the small tips for dry fly wings.

Wulff winging is traditionally bucktail. Again, you can use a synthetic fiber, but if you want the true Wulff look, you have to learn to tame the bucktail.

For dry hackles, look at genetic saddle hackles. They are long and very consistent, you can tie a lot flies out of one feather, and you can get smaller packages so you can get more colors. Whiting's 100s is a great place to start: Whiting 100 Fly Pack, Rooster Saddle Hackles - Fly Tying Supplies
Capes are expensive and you should wait till you really know what you want for what and pick them out yourself.

Good luck man! Great x-mas list stuff.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What grade and brand of hackle/cape for size 12-18 dry flys?
You could get some CDC feathers and tie no hackle patterns. CDC is very cheap compared to quality dry fly hackle. It's easy to tie even on small flies. CDC doesn't require any floatant just some frog's fanny or something to dry it off when it gets fish slimed or drowned.

Also if you haven't got any Pheasant tail yet I would suggest getting a few tail feathers. They make great nymphs and can be used for a bunch of other stuff like legs, tails and wing cases.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think right now I'm going for the following items, based on some of your recommendations:

Whitting 100 packs for the dry hackles

Variety color pack in squirrel dubbing, I've got a TON of rabbit, but after looking at the squirrel it actually looks a little buggier. I'll use that for my hairs ear style patterns/dragon fly nymphs, etc in the futire and keep my rabbit fur for some of the other things I tie and as backup. (Squirrel is also more readily available to me right now then possum, but I'll definitely give pssum a look in the future!)

I'm going to look for brown partridge, if I cant find that I'll do Henback.

I'll definitely grab some poly yarn for my post material, and calf body hair for my Wulffs!

Still considering for the buck tail, need to look further into some of the links posted on here. Also, going to look into some "Bugger Packs" that either Whitting or Metz makes.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

mix the squirrel with the rabbit in a coffee grinder and add a pinch of antron, pretty buggy stuff! Man I wish I could give my girlfriend a list for Christmas! Lucky Dog!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM

One more quick question:

After looking at the Whitting 100 packs and my budget, I have a question: My grizzley saddle handles size 10/12/14 flies well. 16 may be pushing it but with some fancy scissor work I can manage. If you could only order one size of brown hackle to tie adams/coachman/wulffs with WHAT size would you get???
Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm partial to 16s but thats based on where I fish. For Wullfs though 14 is a prefered size.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Solid avise from the responders thus far.

Just a couple thoughts.

If you are tying Adams Catskill style and parachute, the only thing you REALLY need to change is dubbing color in order to get your BWO's down. There is nothing wrong with using Grizzly Hackle for a BWO. Traditionally you will see Dun hackle, but Grizzly is just fine. With that said, an Adams is an excellent match for many insects, BWO's being one of them. I have a ton of Adams in my box in varying sizes to fish a BWO hatch.

As for the 100's...What size flies do you intend on tying with them? If 16's and 18's are your target, 16 might be the ticket. As long as you are close and not too far off from proportion, I wouldn't worry about cutting them. I have found some of the 100's to be smaller than what I expected, so in essence a 16 may be ideal for the 18's. Others are spot on. Besides, some guys actually prefer to use a slightly larger hackle. Get your proportions and colors down on the body of the fly and the hackle is almost unimportant except of course to keep it riding on the top. Again, as long as you aren't using say a 12 hackle on an 16 or 18 you should be fine.