The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default bleaching

Need a tried and tested method for effective bleaching of feathers.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: bleaching

Well,for start you need bleach ...and some feathers you dont like to test them
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Small batches seem to be the ticket for me. A solution of 1/4 cup bleach to 3/4 cup warm water is the base mix. What feathers are you looking to bleach?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Chlorine bleach is not a good chemical for bleaching fur or feathers, and especially not feathers, as it will literally dissolve the fibers. I know this from experience!

Try a hair color remover like those made by Clairol or Loreal and peroxide, which is what hair stylist use. My sister is a pro with over 30 years experience & she gave me some commercial color remover one time, which worked very well. She's also the person who told me not to use chlorine bleach as it seriously damages hair (or feathers).

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Small batches seem to be the ticket for me. A solution of 1/4 cup bleach to 3/4 cup warm water is the base mix. What feathers are you looking to bleach?

GP Tippett
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,

The situation is (I believe) that we are actually looking to damage the feathers to a certain extent. We use the bleach to 'burn' the fibers of ........for instance goose shoulder feathers. The process burns / removes the fine zipper like barbs that hold the feather fibers together. By doing this we are producing long feather fibers that flow nicely on many wet fly patterns.

The hackle on the fly below is the result of bleaching then dying goose feathers.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Golden pheasant tippets................... You mean to bleach them to remove color or to remove the webbing? I have never done anything but to dye them so I am not sure what you are looking to do.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Just for color removal
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Take a look at what Jim posted above, I never tried to remove color from GP. Have you considered using Amherst tips, they are already sorta white...........
wt bash likes this.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I used hair color remover ,kind that use brunette girls to become blond ,for peacock big tail feather . Feather in something that looks very much like burning process become whitish ,and then it was easy to dye it in colors I wanted...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM

I"m trying to get a nice washed out tippet head....hence the bleaching and not wanting to use amherst.

Ard, how did you split the stems of the goose shoulder to reduce bulk when wrapping them?

I'll try the peroxide/hair color remover technique on a few feathers and see how it goes.

Thanks Guys