The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Danvise Vise? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/296837-danvise-vise.html)

angelo1987 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Danvise Vise?

Lately my Vise that I got from my kit has been slipping the hook off, when I just put tiny bit of pressure the hook slips out of the vise, All my hook's has been doing it. I don't know if it's going bad? So I was looking at a Danvise with extension arm. Anyone have this vise? What's the extension arm for? More tying space?

gatortransplant 09-15-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Danvise Vise?

I had/have the Danvise. I upgraded to the Renzetti in under a year because the jaws on the Danvise got pretty mangled and would no longer accomodate smaller flies. For an inexpensive vise and one that won't be seeing many dozens of flies, I would recommend it. Otherwise, spend the money on a higher end vise. The Atlas vises are great and don't tip the monetary scales as much as the Renzettis or Regals. The extension arm is mainly for holding a bobbin when using the rotary function of the vise. Keeps the thread out of the way!

wannafish 09-16-2012 12:24 PM

I've seen the Danvise and agree with Gator - wouldn't go there if you're serious about long term use; X2 on the Anvil vises though. I have the Anvil Apex; built like a tank, heavy metal, not plastic like the Danvise. Whether Apex or Atlas I think you'd be impressed with the quality and price.

rapman 09-16-2012 07:34 PM

I've had a Danvise for a couple years. Hundreds of flies later, I couldn't be happier. I've ranged from sizes 2 to 18 and it's worked well with all of them. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but so far this one shows no sign of wearing out.

The extension arm is exactly what you thought - to give more room for tying longer flies. I've got one on mine and it works as advertised.

angelo1987 09-17-2012 12:02 PM

I just looked at some review's and alot of people are saying that the jaw's wear down fast after only a few dozen of flies. In that case I'am better off spending another $40Bucks and getting the Peak Rotary Vise. Heard great reviews on the vise. Rapman good to hear, I don't want to take the chance with the Vise and not knowing about the warranty.

s fontinalis 09-17-2012 12:31 PM

get an anvil atlas, $125 shipped (or less) on ebay. I bought one. I tie from size 8/0 to 20. no problems with any hooks slipping. comes with HEAVY base and c clamp

Lifetime warranty also i believe

stimmy7 09-18-2012 02:28 PM

Each to their own. At some fly fishing shows and shops, you're able to sit down and try various vises and determine what works best for YOU.

If you have no interest in rotary, buy the best fixed action vise you can afford, like a Regal Medallion, DynaKing Professional or an HMH Exhibition... if you want to tie rotary, buy a DynaKing Barracuda, Renzetti Presentation or even a Nor-Vise.

But if all of those are more money than you can or care to spend, then look at the features YOU NEED/WANT in a vise and make a list of those, then get your hands on the lower priced vises and see which ones (if any) have ALL OF the most critical features you want and then make a decision.

For me, I didn't care about rotary, but I wanted to be able to see all sides of the fly, so I wanted the vise head to be able to turn. I wanted a lot of clearance around the jaws to get my hands in close to the hook. I wanted to be able to adjust the angle of the vise head. And most importantly, because I don't get a ton of time to tie, but when I tie, I do it for a couple of hours at a session, I wanted a comfortable place to rest my "off hand" while tying.

My choice (when I upgraded from my Thompson A) was a Regal. I liked the DynaKing and HMH, but they weren't nearly as comfortable to tie on for me. I also bought a Renzetti Traveler about 5 years after because I wanted to fool around with rotary style tying, but I seldom do it.

BUT, THAT SAID... one thing I learned is many of the flies I tie I can tie "production style" by using BOTH vises. I prep my materials in advance for a pattern, then sit down on the Renz and tail, tie bodies, and whip finish the flies and set them aside. Then I mount the finished bodies in the Regal and do my hackle and winging and whip finish off the heads.

If you can get adequately comfortable and have enough room to tie in your materials on ANY vise, you can see as much of the fly as you want, and the vise is stable on your surface (with a clamp or a pedestal) than go for it. You can always upgrade later if you decide you need more features.

swirlchaser 09-18-2012 06:29 PM

The pricing and secltion on vises can be staggering. I can tell you I tie all my flies on two vises. My Renzetti has saltwater jaws and I use it for anything over a 1/0 or spinning deerhair because it holds like a pitbull. Anything smaller than a 1/0 gets tied on a Griffin Spyder that I paid $79 for brand new 4 years ago. I don't think you can beat $80 for a rotary vise with a solid set of jaws.

JoJer 09-18-2012 06:41 PM

Rumor has it I'm getting a new vise for my BD next month so I've been reading here Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio! and and hitting the local flyshops and talking to the tyers and seeing what they use.
I'm used to draw collet type vises after years of tying on lo-buck India/Paki AA copies. I really liked the looks of the HMH but I think I'm going to go with the smaller Anvil, even though it'll be harder to replace the jaws.

angelo1987 09-25-2012 02:39 AM

@ stimmy7

Have you tried the HMH SX Vise? That is another Vise I was looking at. Look's like a nice solid standard Vise.