The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brass vs Tungsten or both

I'm with gator on this one and his post is pretty much spot on with what I do. Mostly tungsten for me, but I can work with brass beads too. If I need to add more weight to the brass ones, I'll wrap some non lead wire around the shank and push it up into the bead. I do this for size 14 and larger flies. Anything smaller than 14 and for sure I am going with tungsten. The two-bit is a deadly fly that has 2 tungsten beads on it. Mind you the fly is small, tied on a TMC 921 short shank hook so those small tungsten beads really help get the fly down where you want it. Of course the slim profile of the fly helps too.

As for carrying the flies, have your bases covered. Some flies I only tie with beads, others are good to have with and without. Scuds, Pheasant tails, early stones, hares ear, even some caddis are all examples of flies I like to have both weighted and unweighted. Larry had this nailed down pretty good.

As for the price of Tungsten beads, look at the big auction site or Fishwest, I have seen higher quantities sold on both for pretty reasonable prices.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion it depends on what style of nymphing you are planning on doing.

For standard indicator with split shot, little or no bead is actually needed and will probably have more natural drift. I tie non bead and beadhead versions of all my nymphs, three of each (6 for favorites). I actually have been tying patterns with copper and silver colored beads instead of gold, I have more confidence in it.

The time tungsten really helps is if you want to fish with a euro nymph/czech nymph style where no external weight is used and you need to tie various bead heads to fish different depths. This also helps if you fish lots of dry-dropper rigs.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Well, lucky me I took my wife to sush dinner (convienently located 4 blocks from my favorite fly shop). My wife over heard the owner state his cost of tying materials has gone up 20% over the last year. Me having my degree in economics said honey "do we make 20 in our savings? " she said no. So I said over the next year I will need tons of beads so why not save 20%....

Bam she says might as well.

I just ordered $150 (600 Tungsten and 1500 brass)worth of beads from a discount site that also sells on the big online retailer of all things and had good reviews. I ordered Black and Silver Tungsten in sizes for my size 14-18 hooks and brass for everything from 12's to size 22's.I tried to order from a site a fellow member had recomended to me but they only take paypal. We once had over 20k taken from our account with paypal fraud. We got the $$ back but I am not allowed to have paypal.

Long story short I am going to tie up 6 or 8 "explorer" patterns in tunsgten and carry them in a little tin. If I find I use them more Tungsten will become the rule not the exception. I plan on tying the 6 below unless you guys have other Front Range patterns you might suggest

1) Tunsgten surveyor (think Rainbow dubbed hares ear)
2) Tungsten hot wire rubber legs ( combo I tried, hot wire prince on a scud hook with rubber legs)
3) Tungsten Zwing Caddis
4) Tungsten Barr BWO emerger
5) Tungsten Quasimodo Pheasant Tail
6) Tungsten Brassie
7) Tungsten Rainbow Warrior
8) Tungsten lightning bug

Once again thank you all for the help

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Dang, you have lots of tying ahead of you!