The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Brass vs Tungsten or both

I am realtively new to fly tying so need input.

1) do you all tie the same patterns with tungsten and brass beads. Example do you carry Hares Ear's with both types of beads and use different ones based off depth needed ? This is what I am leaning towards but with my OCD requiring me to carry a dozen of every pattern and size I can see myself needing a little red wagon to carry all my fly boxes on the river

2) Do you use Tungsten on smaller flies and Brass on the size 14's and bigger. I find anything 14 and bigger a Tungsten bead sinks so deep I snag and lose tons of flies. Obviously alot of midges need to be just under the surface so a brass one is fine.

I just dont want to go pay 3x the price for Tungsten when I might not need it.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Brass vs Tungsten or both

I can't believe no one saw and answered this thread............ You may find this shocking but since I have never made a bead head nymph or a cone head fly, I can not be of any help with this question. The bead & cone head thing came along after I had been set into motion. I still make flies the same way that I learned many years ago and they still work so I never went to the weighted heads. I used to put those zinc eyes on Bunny Fur Comets but got way tired of getting snagged on the bottom so I have not used them for years now.

Sorry, next question

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

If your using your nymph as a trailer, it doesn't have to have a bead, that's optional depending on flow and personal preference.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

comeonavs: I use both brass and tungsten and once on the stream decide which to use depending on the speed of the current and depth you are fishing. You just need to figure out a method that works for YOU so you can identify which patterns are tied with brass and which are tied with tungsten (I do it by color). For me at least, it has nothing to do with the size of the nymph......I rarely use anything larger than a size 16 anyway. As jcw355 stated, if you are doing a two nymph rig, I usually put the BH pattern on first and then an unweighted or very lightly weighted patten on second. The idea being that you want the first nymph to ride very close to the bottom and the second nymph floating up off the bottom. I never carry a dozen of any pattern in my sling pack. I might have six at the most of any one pattern and that has to be a REAL favorite, otherwise I might carry 2 or 4 of each pattern. In the sling, I carry one small fly box of dries (contents change with the season, lately I have been using a lot of beetles and ants), one small box of nymphs/emerger/midge patterns and a month ago I was carrying a small plastic container with hopper/chernobyl ant patterns. Lately, I haven't seen much action with the hoppers so that container has been replaced. I've switched from fishing hopper/droppers vs dry/droppers, but this past couple days haven't had much success on top so I have switched to a traditional two nymph rig using "OMG" an indicator. LOL! Now I'm getting ready to switching over to carrying a small container of steamers since the browns are starting to stage. Hope that helps.

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Personally, I use almost all tungsten, but I also rarely use weight outside the flies themselves. I often use double-tung stoneflies and hare's ears with extra-large tungsten thoraxes as a heavy fly, paired with another lighter (but still tungsten-beaded) fly. My most common set-up lately has been a tunghead hare's ear with a frenchie dropper. For me, snags are sporadic fact of life in nymphing, but I'd rather be where the fish are and do so without needing to add extra weight.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I hate casting heavy nymphs....so I use brass(max 3.3 mm)... and tungsten only with very small beads(1mm)...
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone sounds like

1) I need to see a shrink to get over my OCD with carrying a dozen of every size, style and color of each pattern

2) Accept the fact I will snag up and be thankful I can tie a Tungsten nymph for $.40 instead of buying for $2.00

This forum is awesome for learning, getting informatin about the sport we all love.

Looks like I am off to get some Tungsten beads.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

As an option, you can tie your nymphs w/o beads and then slide the bead on the leader prior to tying on the nymph. The bead will slide down and essentially seat itself ahead of the nymph- the action isn't the same as when the bead is an integral part of the fly, but it's close. In areas where the water is extremely clear of the fish are very picky it might make a difference, but if the fish are sucking in beaded flies, you're probably pretty safe.

The big difference (as others have said) is how quick the flies sink... tungsten beaded flies drop REAL fast!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Thanks everyone sounds like

1) I need to see a shrink to get over my OCD with carrying a dozen of every size, style and color of each pattern

2) Accept the fact I will snag up and be thankful I can tie a Tungsten nymph for $.40 instead of buying for $2.00

This forum is awesome for learning, getting informatin about the sport we all love.

Looks like I am off to get some Tungsten beads.
Your welcome!

Just think about it for a minute, when was the last time you actually used a dozen flies of one style while out on the water. Lately I have been working with my girlfriend and her sister and a few others, all new to fly fishing......they all lose flies at an alarming rate, but still I never need a dozen of any one fly.

Larry

Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Your welcome!

Just think about it for a minute, when was the last time you actually used a dozen flies of one style while out on the water. Lately I have been working with my girlfriend and her sister and a few others, all new to fly fishing......they all lose flies at an alarming rate, but still I never need a dozen of any one fly.

Larry
Embarrased to admit it but I went through 8 Parachute Adams the other day in 4 hours. I catch a lot of trees in these small streams I like to fish and they tend to have a decent amount of deadfall in them strategically placed so as to snag me like clockwork.

I have had days where I lose none and other days where I loose tons....plan for the worst and hope for the best ( I also carry 4 spare leaders in 5,6,7x spare gink, spare tippet, spare nippers I've dropped plenty in the river).

Anyone know a good therapist, I apparently have an issue with preparedness. My wife calls it anal retentive, I prefer to think of it as thorough preparedness.