The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default The Jailbird....why no lead?

Why do they not put lead wrap on The Jailbird.

Shouldn't this be a fly that sinks to the bottom?

Is it supposed to be an "emerger" pattern?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Jailbird....why no lead?

That's one of Marla's flies. She's a local guide.
It's an emerger
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This pattern has been around since 1993...I first saw it in the July 2004 issue of Fly Fisherman (pgs. 33-35 and con't pgs.69 & 75 ). The article was written by Jim Serio (Delaware River Guide Flies). He got the pattern from Roger and Marla Blair - when they were married. Roger, not Marla created the pattern:

Berkshire Fly Fishing - Jailbird

In any case, Serio stated, " The small white foam wingcase keeps the fly oriented upward. The way the Blairs suggested that this be fished is with #8 split-shot, 12 inches from the fly, and a second split-shot 12 inches from the first. The two split-shot combined with the foam wingcase make the fly wobble in the water in a way that seems to entice fish to try and eat it. The Blairs averaged 40 fish per day on the West Branch."

This was the pattern:

Click the image to open in full size.

HOOK: #14- #18 TMC 2457
THREAD: For rib, Red
Body:Olive-green Beaver
WINGCASE: White Craft foam

I have used this pattern(tied on a TMC 2488 or 2488H hook ) with a lot of success here in the Eastern Sierras. Using weight in the construction of the fly defeats the wobble effect. I use that same technique, of foam in the wingcase, for this Baetis pattern...which kills...

Click the image to open in full size.

SPLIT WINGCASE BAETIS...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Thanks PlanetTrout:

I found it yesterday in "Fly Tyer" magazine, in the Autumn 2012 edition on page 70, and got all excited about it.

I got the stuff to tie it and have been working at a few, although for me, dubbing is always troublesome.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
He got the pattern from Roger and Marla Blair - when they were married. Roger, not Marla created the pattern:

Berkshire Fly Fishing - Jailbird
Okay...wow
Him I don't know from Adam, her I run into a couple-3 times a year.
I'm not her biggest fan, but apparently she's an angel compared to him.

Here's what Dick Talleur says
http://books.google.com/books?id=MeE...0trout&f=false

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I don't know who is right...there is his truth, her truth and THE truth...

...it is, however, a very good pattern...

PT/TB

Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Plantetrout, I love that baetis pattern! very cool im sure it does wonders on hot creek or the EW. I tied a similar pattern using a batwing emerger as my basis with a clear closed cell foam wingcase over it. Works very well too.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
Plantetrout, I love that baetis pattern! very cool im sure it does wonders on hot creek or the EW. I tied a similar pattern using a batwing emerger as my basis with a clear closed cell foam wingcase over it. Works very well too.
It's the wobble that's the charm !!!

PT/TB

Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

PT, needless to say, this pattern, and likely your beautiful baetis as well, will be accompanying me on my next Delaware trip!!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
PT, needless to say, this pattern, and likely your beautiful baetis as well, will be accompanying me on my next Delaware trip!!
This is the recipe for that Split Wing Case Baetis:

SPLIT/ WING CASE BAETIS NYMPH

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #16-#22, TMC 2487, #16-#22, Mustad c49s, #16-#22

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0, Sheer, Gray or Tiemco 16/0, Gray

TAIL: Lemon Woodduck

ABDOMEN: Premo Goose Biots, Blue Winged Olive, or Olive, or Natural

RIB: Largutan, x-fine Gold wire

THORAX: Wapsi Beaver Dubbing, Dark Tan

LEGS: Lemon Wooduck

UNDER WING CASE: Wapsi, Razor Foam, Translucent Dun, 1.0 MM

OVER WING CASE: Spirit River Holographic Mylar Motion, 1/64″, Black…three strands, each side, to edge of pulled over foam, this IS tricky…patience prevails

Some other great split wing patterns that can be found on the net:

The emerging wings of the Baetis/BWO complex are predominately dun colored…others use a different process to achieve this effect…Greg Vinci has his excellent CRACK BACK BAETIS and there is this pattern created by Bob Dye (Split Foam Back Baetis) and a number of other guides for the North Platte River in Wyoming . My friend, AILEEN NISHIMURA ELLIS, has her Splitcase PMD Nymph and Steve Schalla has his wonderfull Splitcase Mayfly Nymph, which covers a number of different mayfly species - it is sold commercially through SOLITUDE FLY CO…I have also seen it tied with twisted strands of Pearl or Black Krystal flash over white foam…I will be tying some of these Baetis/BWO’s with Pink translucent Razor Foam. This particular foam (WAPSI) stretches, allowing one to use it with smaller flies…foam used in this manner – in the wing case – makes for some alluring motion in the fly pattern which attracts Trout when fished sub-surface…

PT/TB
dean_mt likes this.