The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scissor question?

My ol scissors are startin to get worn out, they are an older pair of "Anvils", anybody got some suggestions as to a good replacement pair?

Ceramic?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Scissor question?

Hi fyshstykr,

I like Dr. Slick scissors. I also have a pair of Cutie Cut scissors made in Germany. Cutie Cut makes barber and sewing scissors. I have had them for 30 years and don't know where you can buy them. Swiss, German or Japanese made scissors would be my first choice.

I almost forgot the Ceramic scissors. I have not seen or used a pair. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has used a pair. I was thinking they may be good to cut braided Spectra fishing line. Nippers don't cut Spectra line very well.

Frank
Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank, thanks for the post.

I have an older pair of Slicks also, straights with the serrated edge, I could probably get by just fine with them for a while.

I like my Anvils, straights with a flat edge, and open finger holes, wish my Slicks had open finger holes, they would feel so much more comfortable to me.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

those scissors thats just the squeeze style. those ones u can use without putting your fingers in any holes look great! thats what I am getting next time when mine get dull

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, but I like to keep my scissors in my hand at all times, I hate putting them down, then picking them up over and over, and they always seem to get lost in the pile of materials. The open loops are very comfy and you can adjust them for a better fit.
It takes a little getting used to, but is much more convenient for me, and saves a little time.
"If you try this be careful until your used to it, if you get an itch near your eyes, don't poke yourself with the scissor points."

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

i sharpen and tighten mine some are 30 years old and still going strong..the anvil and dr, slicks can be sharpened real nice
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..