The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Fly Tying Symposium Nov 17-18 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Thanks guys,
not sure yet if i'm tying all day or half days, but i'm there both days.

Ill try and take some photos too and post them up!
As you know, Eunan, this is "materials heaven". All the stuff that you need and more will be at the show. I know that you know John Maclain at FeathersMac; he usually brings a couple of suitcases of materials that he doesn''t sell on the floor at the show. Check in with him if he's at the show (he doesn't always come) and he'll likely be able to provide you with whatever you need/want.

Another good source is Phil Castleman at Castle Arms, as is Steve Cooper at Cookshill.

I'm pretty sure you'll leave with more materials than you take with you to the show. Have fun!

Pocono
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

My first show. It was great!

Actually, i was a bit jaded after saturday, and was thinking saturday night i would have gone home had i not had a hotel booked and paid for. Man, i'm glad i didnt go home though, as sunday turned out to be a great day. Not that saturday wasnt great too, but i was tired and not feeling too good.

I didnt tie many flies, and took even less pictures (zero), but i managed to get one from a guy another forum who posted it. I"m sure he wont mind i down loaded it.

Saturday i got there right at the opening time set and and began with a nice easy wet fly. I tied about three or four wet flies on saturday as well as a Marbury Holberton. Most of the wet flies i gave away to either kids or a guy who was collecting a box for TU fund raising.

Sunday, i tied all day again, but had a little more time to get walking around and talking to some folks. Started off with a Gray Wolf Grizzly Gray Ghost, tied it up to the wing and then went for a walk about. Met some Classic Salmon fly tyers, Stack Scoville, Greg Heffner, Paul Little from England, Paul Harkin from Scotland who were tying Tippet Grubs from Pryce-Tannatt, so I took the challenge and tied one up too. (Photo tomorrow of the flies when there is better light)

All in all i had a great time. I bought some Paul Rossman books on artistic tying, picked up some hooks and materials from John McLain and Gaelic Supreme and got some free wiggle shanks from Martin Bawden at Flymen Fishing Co. I attend the banquet on saturday evening too. It was fun, kinda the old guard of the years of the symposium, but nice to meet some folks, get dinner and get some freebies. They gave out materials packs from Waspi and Spirit River, and had raffles for Keough Half saddle (i won a grizzly) as well as Regal Vise, Custom rod from one of the vendors and a fly frame from Spirit river.

Hopefully i'm going to be tying at the Fly Fishing Shows in Somerset, NJ and Lancaster, Pa in the spring, and i've already got another one day event In December for the Pa Fly Fishing Forum Tying Jam.

I had some folks stop by and watch me tie wets, and I had a collector buy some of my streamer, including the Grizzly Gray Ghost i was tying when he stopped by. He told me that he has bought all the streamers i've had featured on Streamers365. Pretty good compliment to my tying I think and to have him stop by and buy more of them too was very humbling.!
Folks also really seemed to like the flies i'd designed myself, the Claret Raider, Vintage Claret, The TFM collection

I met Faruk Ekich, inventor of the Ekich Bobbin. He stopped by my table, and when i had some time i went by his too. That bobbin is amazing, if you're not familiar with it, check it out at ekichbobbin[dot]com. They're pricey, but i'm gonna get one, at least. From what i saw, they have constant tension and "do not" break your thread - even 18/0 i saw it in action.

I was sat with two great young tyers from PA and NJ, one 14 yo and the other 15 yo. They had lots of folks stop by their tables too and its good to see you guys getting the opportunity to tie at show like that.

Ok. Enough waffling. Ill post some photos tomorrow of the flies i tied, but for now, this is me in action marrying a wing for a Jennie Lind, with some guys from the PA Fly Fishing Forum watching on. Its not staged - thats actually how they watched me form the wing!

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono, mcnerney, jpbfly and 2 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan looks like you had a great show!! Sorry really wanted to go had a last minute family thing in Philly. Seems you have some real loyal followers ! Congrats catch you at the next one.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report, Eunan and, as John said, it sounds like your first show was a real success!

You'll enjoy Sommerset; crowded, but a lot of action around the tying stations.

Stacks is a hoot to watch tie and to talk to; very methodical, very meticulous.

Another good source of materials at these shows is Jens Pilgaard. He, too, usually has a suitcase or two of materials that he'll let you rummage through, as does his usual tying mate, Plourde (can't remember his first name). He had an absolutely pristine Blue Chatterer skin that he sold to a friend of mine a couple of years back; at a good price. You send him money in a magazine; I kid you not...........and you always get good quality materials from him.

Looks like you're on your way to fame and fortune. That's great!

Pocono
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Here's two of the flies i tied at the weekend
MOM Holberton

madjoni likes this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-19-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Most of the wet flies i gave away to either kids or a guy who was collecting a box for TU fund raising.
You're not only a great tier....you're a good guy Eunan
Great report.
madjoni likes this.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM

schrob is on a distinguished road

When you do the Somerset show be careful what you leave out on the table, things tend to walk, including vises. Have the guy tying next to you keep an eye on things if you take a break. When I did the shows I would bring a little folding table, about the size of a tv tray, and keep it behind the table to put things on. You can pick one up at office max or staples. Was good seeing you and a lot of new younger faces there. The show gets to be to predictable after a while when you see the same old faces around year after year, one of the reasons I stopped doing the show. It looked like there were a lot of tyers that didn't show up who said they would. Didn't look like there were as many people there as normal on a Saturday, hope you had more on Sunday go through. And like I said at the show if you need any help with the Mustad contest drop me a line.
Rob Schreiner
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Spectacular tippet grub - so hard to hackle with gp tippet - how do you do that - amazing.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
Spectacular tippet grub - so hard to hackle with gp tippet - how do you do that - amazing.
I did it just like any other hackle. Stroke them back, tie in at the tip and wind on...Easier than you think actually. That is the first time i've ever hackled with tippets!

Eunan
la_jolla1 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That tippet hackle idea is killer. I'm likely going to be trying that very soon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...