The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM

tj5485 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with collars please

Trying to teach my self how to apply collars an such to my flies and I'm failing miserably. Either cross cut rabbit or hackle... Is there a GOOD video that shows this? I know I just started tying and all... But this seems like it should be easy for me to do and I can't figure it out!!!!! Thanks as always. Tim.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Help with collars please

Check this Thread for a hackle SBS

For cross cut rabbit you're gonna want to make the tie in point long and narrow and pointed, and the strip should be as thin as possible if you want more than one or two wraps.
This SBS uses cross cut rabbit for the body

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help with collars please

Tim, what size hooks are you trying to tie with the rabbit? I've found that below about a size 8, unless you're wrapping a body, is not as easy as on larger size hooks. A collar would be difficult on a small size hook with rabbit on the skin, so it's a better bet to use just the fur. Different method as you're not wrapping, but similar result with smaller hooks.

A tip I've found to help when wrapping rabbit is to wet your fingers & stroke the fur fibers out of the way as you wrap.

Hackle collars are easy, but not if the feather is too short. With experience it can be done regardless of the hackle sizing, but that would make the process more difficult to accomplish for a novice. The same wetting tip can work with hackle too, particularly very soft or wispy hackle.

Here's some things that may help:

Hen Hackle Demystified - Global FlyFisher

Wet Fly Hackles Tying Steps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfnYDQNQJmc://

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM

tj5485 is on a distinguished road

Using the technique for saltwater flies. Size 1 and 2 mostly. Thanks guys ill look over these videos

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

So I should cut the rabbit strip to be narrow at the point?