The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Jenny Lind - Dyed in the kitchen and survived

So I've wanted to tie this fly for a LONG time, but the scarcity of purple quills kinda hindered my progress.
This past weekend decided to give dyeing a go, and convince the wife to let me do it in the kitchen, since there really was no other way to get it done.

I had some old white duck quills that I picked up at the craft store for a buck, so I got to dyeing.
I used jacquard acid dye, lilac color, with the very scientific measurement of two finger taps on the jar to get the dye into the melting pot.
Just water at a near boil, the dye and then the quills, once I saw they had taken the dye, dropped in (again scientifically) a splash of vinegar and let them go for another few mins.

All told, the process took about 15 mins, including heating up the water and letting the quills dye up.

The result is this
Two nice lilac duck quills, ready for tying
Click the image to open in full size.

And herrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee'sssss Jenny (See what I did there??)

mcnerney, Rip Tide, jpbfly and 3 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jenny Lind - Dyed in the kitchen and survived

Wow !!! Brilliant color!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful Eunanthese flies could decorate the" Folies Bergeres" dancersCreated a purple streamer long ago...a friend of mine named it the Bishop
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Very nice, the color set on those feathers really came out nice!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Eunan, you got skills man!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!